cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Does this sound a little weird to you?

I had my annual exam today and was shocked when the tech wanted me to step on the scale. Not because of my weight but because I was at the EYE dr. Then she went on to take my height, figure my BMI, and then my BP. I thought it was really weird, so after I got home and my eyes were back to where I could see the number to dial I called and asked more about it. Seems this is a law coming into effect the first of the year so that everyone you have a yearly exam with will do this. Physician, Eye doctor, Dentist. The receptionist said it was mandatory for them and I asked if it was mandatory for me to comply. She didn't know. She also stated that our country was in such poor health and they were advising we eat 14 servings of fruits and vegetables each day, doesn't leave room for much else, does it? I think this will drive people away from annual exams. Next thing that you know they will asking me if I feel safe at home and how many beers I have a week. What next.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Does this sound a little weird to you?

Actually, both number of alcoholic drinks per week and feeling safe in our home were questions we both had to answer at our last physical checkups. I think you can expect ever more intrusive procedures and advice, under national healthcare law.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Does this sound a little weird to you?

Holy cow! I suppose the reasoning at the eye doctor could be that blood pressure can affect vision (I think!), but that does seem a little over the top! And I'm not sure how you could find the time, the space in your stomach, or the money to eat 14 servings of fruit and veggies a day.

I do get asked whether I'm safe in my home/relationship every year at my annual "female" exam.

0 Kudos