cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Drippy & ramblings

The thaw appears to be on.  It is soggy everywhere.  My shoes got totally soaked coming to the office...this was a really wet snow, and the sun is working on it now.  Mud season!

It felt so good to catch a few rays, while loading some boxes to move from the office to the studio house.  I realize after a spell like this how much I crave sunlight.  Our house in NC is dark inside, mostly because we built a lot of overhangs, and there are big shadetrees on almost every side. 

The snow and ice started shifting and sliding off the second-story roof onto the porch cover this morning.  All of that is tin-roofed space, so it sounds impressive, both letting go and landing.  Kind of startling at times.  Oldhouses have the best sound effects.

My 365 Day Declutter Challenge is going pretty well, considering I have been stinking sick with URI all week.  Thank heaven for humidifiers.

The office is presentable at last...more to do, but so much better than when I started.  I just discarded the contents of several ring binders I used in nursing school.  Unloaded several past years' recordkeeping ones for the farm, too.  Thso erecords go into a box for deep storage I am estimating that there are $150-200 worth of binders and indexes ready to re-use now.  

I got our dressing area decluttered this week, too.  The huge pile of linens shoved into one wardrobe is reduced, and the remainder of them are on metal wire shelving we mounted on tracks screwed up inside it.  

Have the excess sheets and one blanket to offer to daughter, and to the hired man on the blanket if she passes.  It just makes me feel better, knowing I can find things at a glance in there now. 

Got several nagging issues moving with phone calls this morning, too.  I am finding that, with Jenna's estate finally closed and that ridiculous lawsuit off my back,I can concentrate and stay on task so much better now. 

Figured out that I wanted a limited laptop (I think it is like a notebook computer, if I am saying that right) for Mike's waste recordkeeping.  Amazon shows it coming on Saturday.  If I get that done, it buys us 3-4 days every year, freeing that time up from miserable handwritten transcription of his field logs. 

After streamlining billpaying and our tax prep over the past few years - I have those functions pretty darned close to painless now - I am looking to tweak the rest of our responsiblities.  This one is at the top of the list. 

Put away the ceramic snowmen.  Felt that they were like seeding the clouds.  My seed catalog order has arrived, as has the Mantis tiller.  Have six raspberry vines and four fruit trees sitting in a bucket in the back room at Jenna's, waiting for the ground to thaw so we can plant.  Maybe even this weekend!

Last boiler we bought, for upgrading the size of the firebox there, has arrived at the dealer's.  Hoping they will get it installed soon.   No more nighttime wood runs for Mike once it's in.  This is the kind of stuff we expect to do more of as we get grayer....

I used to rush bad seasons away, wishing for the next one to come.  Now, even though I may complain about one that has treated us kind of harshly, I try to take each one in stride.  I know we have only so many springtimes to greet. 

Oh, well.  More stuff decluttered to load out.  S

uey, hope that those pigs got loaded and you have thawed out by now!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Drippy & ramblings

The one really nice thing about building a new house is the fact that a lot of junk is going into the hole with the old house. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

:Yep,  they  loaded slowly.   There was a fog coming through the door and they didn't like walking into the mist.   Took fewer pigs and did okay.    Still have 40 left in the building.  I'll probably end up taking  29 of them in a couple of weeks.  They need a few more days of feed.... plus, There's too much feed left in the bins.     

Actually,  we usually work up a sweat  sorting and loading.   Not much sorting today.   We've get extra downtime before we need the building.   Hope to get some warm days to do the powerwashing.  

Oh and it made it to 14 degrees  on the car thermometer.   Went and mailed the taxes.   Got a possiblity of snow and ice on Monday.  Bright sunshiny day. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Our taxes will NOT come through as attachments on any device we have here, not through either Internet server. Had a freakout Thursday for an hour or so, trying to get them here. Finally, the office there offered to FedEx them...they aresupposed to arrive by today.

Thank goodness due dat is Monday this year! Worst case, I drive to Richmond. Planned to go to Jenna's tonight anyway, so would be halfway there...if they arrive before we want to leave.

Just a crazy imcompatibility somewhere, and I have no fax anymore.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Our tax accountant makes us send electronically.  Started about 2 years ago.  I really don't like being pushed into this.  Don't know why they do it but DH likes going there.  Me, not so much.  They also pushed us into the medical reimbursement program which we pay extra for.  I think I commented on this long time ago.  I'm sure they probably get a cut from that also.  But most farmers in our area go to this same place so I guess maybe I'm the only one questioning things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

still cold here.  Beautiful sunshine though.  Had to laugh at my barn cats this morning.  Sliding door on the east side wasn't completely closed so there was a stream of sunshine coming in.  There were 4 of the cats spaced out on the stream loving the sunshine.  Made me laugh.

Hubby was saying the other day that he's ready for some mud.  I said I didn't know,  I really hate mud.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Just got our taxes electronically sent out. Such a relief. We got a charge for the medical reimbursement for the first time I think. I need to learn more about that one. Just glad it is done.

It is interesting where the cats find warm spots. Sometimes I see DH's cats all piled on the gator in the sun or my golf car or more unlikely places. We are ready for a break in this cold and snow but more on the wary with warnings out for twenty four hours beginning tonight.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This computer-email snafu is giving me indigrstion this weekend. I have one more chance to doenload the emsils at zjenna's, using an older lsptop and scanning the signed forms back in to email today.

Let's just say I lack faith in the weekend FedEx drivers. They are supposed to be bringing this packet, and the new laptop, but who knows if that is one detiver or two different types? One does Satrudays, the other does not. I can track the laptop, but not the taxes, since I didn't get any tracking info, they were put into s dropbox. Accountant's office said the box had ambiguous last pickup info, too.

To be honest, it will work out or it won't...I am exhausted with worrying about it, other issues, and a situation that just cropped up this morning. Daughter's pretty big, dumb puppy disappeared after the big snowstorm, slipping away from the housesitter Thursday night. She got home about eight on Friday, from the week of vacation, and a friend came over to help her track the dog.

They fllowed the tracks to - but not away from - the employee's residnce, which is across the road, about halfway between our houses. Her husband confronte him in no uncertain terms this morning, then left to go to the country store/coffee spot. While he was gone, the dog trotted up their back steps, clean as a whistle. He refuses to budge off hs spot on their sofa now. They feel someone came and took the dog away, then got scared and dropped it back off. The evidence is very damning. Very upseting.

I talked with her over phone, and suggested callng a deputy the went to school with, to get documented what they found so far. Mike has questioned hired guy, and told him if he gets caight in a lie, they are gone. Just a bad ferling all over. We are getting away overnight. I have been snowed in since Monday, except quick feed run Wednsday. I have things to do today that have been on my mind all month. Just need a break.
0 Kudos