cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Driving me nuts!

The big brouhaha here a couple of weeks ago, between my husband and my daughter, has been partly resolved by the paper checklist I constructed for the repairs and other crucial bits of information to be transferred between them. I thought we were getting things back on track, until today

There is still one paperwork chore, that he used to do in five to ten minutes twice a week, but has been trying to teach her how to do for a couple of years now. It used to get put off until late, and Winn got dragged over when he should have been at home in his own bed. I put my foot diwn that it had to be done by noon, and that got to be me " being difficult".

I got hit with a disagreement over this piece of paper smack between the eyes today, as soon as I got home around two. This was after being sick as crap all yesteday, until the wee hours today. I swear, the two of them cannot be more difficult over this one piddlng but crucial job.

I finally broke on Mike tonight that I never want to hear it again. He can do this in fifteen minutes a week. I spend more time than that listening to each one gripe about the other, over this one simple, pissant piece of paper. i have decided that I do not want to die early from the stroke they are giving me.

Does anyone but me have to deal with fathers and offspring who just are too much alike to work together?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Driving me nuts!

Oh yea..   There are days when I feel like I'm wearing a striped shirt and a whistle.   I think it comes from them being too much alike.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

After sleepng on this, i have figured that this is one area where they are probably very different. He says she " does fine sometimes, but totally cannot concentrate other times". He thinks this is intentional, but I do not.

This morning, I asked him if it could possibly be that she is PMSing when her mind seems MIA. He said it was a possibility, because it is notbut every so often.

I also reminded him that this process involves factoring feed compnsumption of feed by varying numbers if animals, as far as 10-14 days our. He has always been excellent at this task, but I know some growers never get it. She may be one of thise someday.

I asked him to think back to his railroad years. He would sit with his crew at the beginning of the shift, and they would copperatively plan out themoves on the yard, to build the trains that had to roll out when the mainline engines came through. He had the reputation for having the most efficient methods for building the strings if cars, which had been dropped very randomly on a ladder of yard tracks. He could always see the easiest way to pull and recombine them...some conductors were never able to do this well.

When I asked him this, he said, " Yeah, some of them were very intelligent, but never could build a train worth a **bleep**!"

I see him taking this minor but crucial chire back to his duty slone as one way to greatly reduce friction, and her frustration level. When she takes over, assuming this lasts that long, she can get her serviceperson to help her with it. Lots of growers do.

I have taken off my stripes and laid down the egphostle for now...perfect analogy! I think he had never thought that this is hard fir her, nust because it is so easy for him.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Is there a spreadsheet you could develop that has the formulas and constant factors already in it and she would only have to insert the variables and it would automatically calculate it for her?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Not really, but good idea. The company has tried to just that with this function, I think partly because it is difficult for so many to master. I don't think their attempts have been at all successful.

This function involves factoring in variables like weather and every time you get it just about straight, they will alter arbitrary parameters, especially lead-times. If you picture nailing Jello to a wall, that about sums it up.

Mike is great at it, but evidently cannot teach or transfer his skills. I have asked him just to take it back kn solo, at least for now. I just need some peace wherever possible.
0 Kudos