cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Dumb question -massage???

Some of you occasionally mention going for a spa treat or getting a massage.  I can count on the fingers of one hand how many professional massages I have had in my lifetime, all since I turned fifty, which was when I had the first one, as a treat from our kids.

Our kids know a girl, ex-wife of SIL's best friend ( the young man who was killed in a wreck a few weeks before Jenna died last year.)  She works away a week, then comes back home near here for a week, to see her girls, who are in his mom's custody ( long story).  

Anyway, the kids have started having her come over to give massages on her week here, so we had one two weekends ago, then one again on last Friday.  She is very strong and thorough.  The first time, I directed her to concentrate on a couple of problem areas in my lower back.

This time, she really worked over my neck and shoulders.  I guess it's tax time, census forms, and all the family crud surrounding my father's passing and such, but I have never had anything affect me quite like this in my life.

It was obvious that there was a LOT of tension in those areas...and, I think people carry stress in their bodies.  It hurt like the dickens while she was working the knots out, and the next day as well.  I can really feel the areas she released so much tension in, even today, three days later.  

What surprises me even more is that I have been fighting a host of feelings since the day after the massage.  I cannot think of any other " trigger" for these sensations to arise so suddenly.  A lot of negative and depressing stuff, just miserable things, really, and a lot pf tears out of the blue.

My question for those of you who have more experience with this type of therapy is this: Does  having someone relax the spots where you've been storing your stress seem to turn it loose on you, to have to confront it in other ways, besides just stashing it in your musculature?  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Dumb question -massage???

I have only had one massage and it hurt so bad I have never had another one. I would not be surprised it you are correct on this one. My body seems to know when I need another visit to the chiropractor as I get very tense and nervous.  I go at regular intervals.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Understand the "needing to see" the chiropractor, as the PT I've seen intermittently has the same effect on me...I miss that adjustment, now that she's not available. 

Go the extra step along my thought line though: Do you feel a lot of the stress is "let loose" after an adjustment, to arise in other ways?  This has been almost spooky.  I attribute the depth of feeling ot the depth of tissue she reached with the massage.  This was no mere backrub. 

My closest comparison is when I first got a homeopathic treatment several years ago.  I put those Nat Mur tabs under my tongue, and within five minutes, I was sharing things with the healer that had never occurred to me consciously.  Things I had never realized bothered me, but which truly did on a very elemental level. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Apparently quite common

I thought to Google the phrase " emotions released by massage?", and got several good articles and Q&A hits on the subject.  

Evidently , what I have been experiencing since Friday is very common.  I knew something had to be up...I just do not fall apart without a trigger for it.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've had a couple of massages before and didn't really get anything from them.  I'm not one who likes to be touched by strangers either so I couldn't really relax I guess.  My mom gets them fairly regular and Todd has had them to work on some deep muscle issues in his back.  They are a great tool to help keep a person healthy if that makes sense.  What works for one doesn't always work for another. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Apparently quite common

Yes to your question. It is a release of tension, more of an undercurrent of tension that could easily go unnoticed.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Like I said, I have had a handful of therapeutic massages in the last 8-9 years.  Relaxation was the primary product, and I know that would not necessarily be the case, if you are uncomfortable being touched by a stranger.

i have never had big issues with that...I guess due to playing contact sports...or non- contact ones in a rough and tumble manner.  Taekwondo is very contact oriented...we have hands on other students, competitors in tournaments, etc. pretty constantly.  

None of the previous times I had this type of treatment did I perceive this type of emotional involvement.  Looking back on the evening I had it, I remember feeling exhausted when she got done...tired almost to the point of tears.  I guess that was the load of emotions settling in on my spirit  then.

The events of the past several months have been the heaviest load I've ever asked my soil to,carry, too.  Not surprising that when they escaped storage, they would hit me like a Mack truck.

0 Kudos