cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

EU Limits Vacuum Cleaners

The European Unit has passed a law that effective 1 September, vacuum cleaners are limited to 1600 watts.  In 2017 the limit will drop to 900 watts.  The objective is to reduce energy use.

Would you care if your vacuum cleaner was limited in power?  Is this a good way to reduce energy?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: EU Limits Vacuum Cleaners

To be painfully honest, I do care, but it will not save that much energy. At least not around our house....

Really, unless engineering improvements make lower wattage still give enough suction, you will just have to run it more often and longer when you do...so, what does that save?

Why not limit blowdryers?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Or is this a runabout way to encourage wood or vinyl flooring in houses? I smell some lobbying going on with this legislation.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Wait...what's a vacuum cleaner???  Just kidding.....but I have a love hate relationship with mine...I love to hate it.  Smiley Very Happy  That being said if the power limits the sucking power then what's the point of the vacuum???  I'm pretty sure there's really not an over abundance of power being used by vacuums daily that we need to start powering them down. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

AGREE

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I also agree.  Especially about "what's a vacum"?  LOL  I finally got mine out of the closet & used it-a little-yesterday.  We were having a classmate stopping by & as I looked at my house I couldn't believe how gross it was.

When you can you can't clean or do outside work either for that fact. 

What would be the point of the whole thing regarding EU?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If I'm not mistaken, most of these energy- and water-saving ideas seem to arrive here after being passed as regulations in the EU. CFLs that make it hard to see much indoors, low-volume toilets that make you have to flush more than once, etc., I believe got their start there.

I would really hate to see vacuum cleaners fall into this trap. I had the same thought as someone else, about the hard flooring being encouraged. You never know the real source of some of this stuff...and, I always say, " Follow the money!"
0 Kudos
Advisor

I'd buy a spare or two if they were to decide  to only sell low power vacumn cleaners.     I like my carpets. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I would, too.

Actually, my favorite floors would be wood or tile, or even good vinyl, with area rugs. I have them everywhere but upstairs, family room, and hallway here in Carolina. Slab underneath is too imperfect for hard flooring on top, so stuck with carpeting in more area than I would like! I would love tile down the hallway and in the family room at least....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Mine are too uneven also so carpet here too.  But I'm not sure I'm a real fan of hardwood.  While beautiful they sure show the dust & require more upkeep than carpet.  I'm sure they are cleaner & less dusty so better for allergy sufferers. 

My mom & dad built they house in the 60's and have hardwood throughout.  Covered it all  with carpet.  Mom couldn't stand seeing the dust.  Also my husbands cousin cleans house for several high end professional families.  She says she NEVER wants to have hardwood in her house.  LOL  To each their own.  Guess some of the decision would be about how nitpicky you are.

0 Kudos