cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawinkle
Advisor

Ed really did surprise me this year!

As we get older and have been married longer, Ed and I find it difficult to surprise each other for Christmas or any other occasions. 

I was SHOCKED, beyond surprised, when he had a king-sized quilt hand made in the pattern of our barn quilt for our bedroom.  I am still shocked.  It is gorgeous!  He even helped the quilter pick out the fabrics for the pieces and back.  He had it done in soft buttery yellow and several shades of blue and white....It really is beautiful. The quilter worked on it a year and just finished it on the 23rd!

Our room and our connecting master bath both have old dated (25+ years) pink carpet and bathroom fixtures in the old avacado green and harvest gold.  The windows need replacing and it needs new window treatments and light fixtures....in other words, a total makeover.

Re doing those rooms was to be on my list of "Intentions" to do in 2011.  Honestly, I had ideas for those rooms but no real starting point.  The quilt will provide me with the focal point I needed to plan the rooms around. 

My DDs who usually assist Ed in his shopping are giving him many kudos for his gift and the fact that he surprised me!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kay/NC
Advisor

Re: Ed really did surprise me this year!

Tell Ed I said, "You da man!" 

That is a very neat gift idea, and that color scheme makes for a gorgeous master suite decorating foundation.  

I'll bet he was sweating whether that lady was going to finish or not, though!

0 Kudos
suey1973
Senior Contributor

Very impressive Ed!  

0 Kudos
curley or moe
Veteran Contributor

Wonderful gift. I love hand made quilts. My mother made one for each grandchild for when they got married. She died before she got them all quilted. DD's is finished with 2 pillow shams, but DS's is pieced and  pinned ready for the hand quilting. I know what I will be doing in my future. It will make a great center of interest for the rest of the room.

0 Kudos
chick06
Veteran Contributor

What a great gift. It will be something that can be passed down from generation to generation. I did a painting of our silo's, and now they are gone. It will be nice to have this when one day the barn may not be around. Ed did a great job.

0 Kudos
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

I am jealous!!  Sounds wonderful...what a great gift and surprise...DH wwould never do anything like that...he does not have a creative thought in his brain...enjoy it!!

S.

0 Kudos
lawinkle
Advisor

Like I said, I was shocked!  Ed usually doesn't think of gifts like this.  He is a much more practical giftgiver kind of guy.  Which has always been okay with me but this really took me by surprise. 

0 Kudos