cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Estimates and all that jazz....

Well, the dealership just called about the estimate on my Mazda. This was the one the local mechanc told Mike to trade in last week, after he put it on his diagnostic computer. It needs the timing chain, and some less pricey other stuff...total bill $1470 and change. Hard to justify giving up on an almost $40,000 to replace SUV, for that amount, with only 100,000 miles on the odometer.

The irrigation unit that was misfiring is doing fine, just by running injector cleaner through it with this tank of fuel. Major repair avoided, for next to nothing. In defense of the dealer, he did suggest that fix first.

The icemaking machine will run a bit over $1400; but, spread out over ten years, that is less than 50 cents a day. The local appliance dealer I had called did not sell them, but told me to go,ahead and replace it. He said cheaper models he looked at online had terrible reviews, which I had already found out for myself.

As bad as $2900 sounds for repairs for the week, it could have been so much worse. The remanufacturer that SIL found for our computer boxes for the hog house ventilation controls will save us that much in three replacements...and, we have already sent off three and have three more ready to ship.

I tend to get upset when a bunch of things break down all at once. Truth be told, probably a few things had been broken but avoided for a while, so it all ended up being dealt with in one week. Just likemthose accumulated computer boxes...we put off handling problems until there is a break in the normal action.

What a relief...I think the service writer was shocked that I didn't have a meltdown about the Mazda when she called. I guess it just depends upon what you deal with in the course of being in business. I just wonder how many people take bad advice, and end up paying way more than they need to pay for professonal repair work.

What is the worst advixe you have w er been given about making a repair? i think I just heard mine this past week....

0 Kudos
10 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Estimates and all that jazz....

There is another side of that too. We just replaced some feed bins that should have been replaced at least five years ago. The new ones have new features that willl help.

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

My sister was just telling me about her car repairs.  I can't beleive the amount of money she has had to fork out for that 2007 vehicle repairs.  Knock on wood!  We had an explorer that had 250,000 on it before it started having any problems.  My Edge has 145,000 and I would like to get another vehicle, but don't know what.  My kids tell me I can't have a truck because I can't see behing me well enough!  Need back up camera's that won't get covered with gravel road dust!!!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

We are hobbling slong with the ones built with the farm in 1995. So far, have only replaced onecone, with our own little homegrown crew. The feed delivery trucking department hashad to replace a ladder or lid here and there, but thst is fue to their negligence.

Most of the original vent comtrol computers were outmoded eons ago...thy switched generations while we were in construction...means you had to keep twice as many parts on hand, at $500-1000 apiece. Our repair inventory would buy me a Lexus....
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

There are a lot of good hybrids and other efficient cars and smaller SUVs coming out now, it seems.if I needed a vehicle, I would look in that direction.

I cling to the Mazda because it is all - wheel drive, which helps on farm paths and in snow. Probably stupid, because it costs more to buy, maintain and fuel. Our family lives far down dirt lanes everywhere we go, and if you have to get out, w always can.

My CX-7 was the first car I have ever driven with the backup cam...it really helps get out of parking spaces when your view is boxed in by bigger trucks and vans beside you. It saved at least one good puppy, too. I would always want it on anything I buy now.
0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Our 2006 F150 is sitting at the dealers now getting some attention.  We think it's something with the 4x4 and having a non-mechanical hubby makes things more difficult.  We had issues on our trip down to the cities and finally got it to the dealership over the weekend.  Not a big deal as we both drive company vehicles but still it needs to get done.  We will see what the bill will be for that one.  I'm not expecting it to be outrageous but we will see. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Hope your repairs are reasonable. I guess having the magnitude of farm expenses to compare thngs to makes us have a skewed perspective.

Having other vehicles can lull you into waiting a while to get things fixed, too. We had gotten up to four vehivles forv ust us two, after Jenna left us her Jetta last year. Then, we decided to move our F-150 to the farm in Va, so there is always a truck there to do chores, haul trash away, pull a trailer, etc. That cut us down to three here.

Daughter's F450 broke down a couple of weeks ago, hauling home from a horse show in Goldsboro. Thy have thus borrowed Mike's 3500 Ram dually, which had to get the horses and humans home, then we have the ultimate humiliation photo, of their whopping red truck being hauled on our flatbed by the Dodge...let's just say that pictures have been posted!

That left us the two cars, and the Mazda had the engine light come on, so it needed a dealer's service visit. The closest one is in Va, 30 minutes from Mike's farm. We are essentially a one- car household right this minute, unless we bring back the truck from VA, take back the truck from the kids, or get the Mazda fixed.... Several things happened at once, leaving us no spare, you know? If one of your didn't have a company vehicle, you would suddenly get that truck fixed pretty fast....
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Google Mazda timing chain and include the year and model of your car.  You will see some intersting discussions, inlcuding mahy who say either 1) it will never go bad, or 2) if it does go bad you will hear it start to slap and can address it then.  It is not a timing belt which does have a limited life.

On my own, I would not replace a timing chain without a second opinion from a trusted mechanic who didn't work for the Mazda dealership.  Yes, Mazda says change it every 100k.  Do you know anyone who does?  

Many auto parts stores and filling stations will do a computer check for you for free or for $25-30.  A check engine light is often caused by a gas tank that isn't holding as much pressure as the EPA wants but doesn't hurt you a bit.  My check engine light has been on for years.  If it's a gas tank pressure thing,you can claean or replace the gas cap if you're worried about it. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Jim, the code came up for timing at the local mechanic. If I got suckered, it is too late, the repairs have been authorized and parts probably already installed.

Actually, the local guy panics every time Mike takes the Mazda in for service...didn't even have the right wrench for oil changes at first. I know we had a timing belt change on Jenna's Honda Accord somewhere after 100K. There are so many complexities on newer cars, I hardly know when or where to debate...thanks for the input, though. I will Google before going a pricey repair in the future.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Re: All that Jazz and etc

I had a FANTASTIC  30 minutes yesterday.   I went out to get the field cultivator and tractor to do some washouts for Tom.  I get to the tractor and can hear a pig squealing in the finishing building.   He was down and stressed out and died within 5 minutes.  250# pig  dead.    So,  I go to get in the tractor and the front tire was FLAT!   

We figure the pig  was just one of those pigs that happen.   We raised all the gates to prevent jumping between pens.  We knew we had lost some from jumping before raising the fences.    

On the good side.. we are over half done with corn planting.   Just hope we don't get gully washer rains and extreme cold.  It was over 80 degrees today. 

0 Kudos