cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Ever make sushi?

Mike loves sushi rolls. I like the California roll well enough, and have eaten some of his bait-y looking ones. The distance we have to go to buy them is sort of absurd, though. He's urged me to figure out how to roll our own, so I think tomorrow night's supper will be my trial.

Researched the stuff, and found a highly-rated rolling kit on amazon., which was delivered some time back. The special ice and nori sheets were easy to find there, too. . Grabbed some wasabi sauce and rice wine vinegar in town today.

Believe it or not, there are some parallels in rolling sushi and rolling your own smokes. It looks like fun, so we are going to try some rolls with spicy shrimp and veggies for our first experiment.

There are even dessert sushi recipes. Who knew?

Made me wonder if anyone else has ever tried this trick. If not, what is the most exotic thing you ever tried to cook at home?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pritchh
Senior Contributor

Re: Ever make sushi?

we make sushi, but no raw fish, we are  not close enough to a source. but do cooked shrimp, salmon, and avacodos, asparagus.

time consuming but easy to make it elegant which is fun now ans then.

and we get nuitrition from seaweed, etc, healthy we think.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

No chance of scoring fresh seafood here for the most part, either. Sushi grade fish is exorbitant in price. I wouldn't even know where in this state you would find it for sale to the public.

I will be trying it out with the shrimp, which we get frozen. My rolls ill be all veggie, anyway.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

I wonder if I could get Todd talked into trying it.  I'm not a seafood fan but like the veggie rolls....hmmmmmmmm.....something to try at least.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Got to have the right ( sushi) rice, and the nori ( seaweed) sheets, all of which are easy to find on amazon. I ordered the Sushiquik set, to roll and slice ours. Rice is ready and waiting for us to give it a whirl.
0 Kudos