cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Exactitude and order

Mike had MSNBC on when I got home from Richmond a while ago, then switched to FOX news, so he could continue to follow the unfolding story in Japan.  Like LA, we have been very concerned about the mounting death toll, with as many as FOUR trains reported missing and now the first reported injuries from the troubled nuclear power plant site.  

Even in the chaos and continuing aftershocks - some of them very strong - I have yet to see a single Japanese citizen acting in a disorderly fashion on videos from the disaster area.  They are struggling without power, food and water, but you do not see mobs toting off TVs from store shelves, which is one of the things that has always troubles me in American emergency conditions. 

There seems to be a sincere trust in the government to protect and provide, even though it is clearly an overwhelming task at this point in time...and that is if things don't get any worse than they are right this instant. 

One thing I cannot help but notice, being the compulsive counter I can be, is that the reports of dead and missing are not estimates, but counts to the ones place.  It is odd in a way, last death count 686..not "nearly 700."  Officials are saying the count will likely rise, but they are not speculating in round terms. 

The exactitude of numbers and the order of this society honestly amaze me.  This story is far from over, and there will be a lot of sadness ahead. 

In case anyone has missed how truly powerful this seismic event was...I just heard a report that says it moved the main island of Japan eight feet, and tilted the world's axis as much as ten inches...which will change the length of the day! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Exactitude and order

I heard a reporter quoted this a.m. who said the Japanese gov is very closed mouth on these matters. You and I know there are many thousands who died when those huge waves came on shore just by looking at the videos. There were 9500 people living in the one town that was swept away. The clean up will be a nightmare. It is a very sad story.

0 Kudos
Advisor

The sheer magnitude of this event boggles the mind.  The Japanese are reputed to have very good planning in place for earthqukes...and I am sure had tsunami warning systems, too. 

I read one set of statistics yesterday that said that the 8.9 or 9.0 tremor that did the most damage moved the main island eight feet.  It is also said to have shifted the planet's axis by ten degrees, which will change the length of the day.  Amazing. 

Many of the aftershocks are more powerful than most major earthquakes in some places where buildings just crumble like toys.  The news just said six nuclear reactors are in trouble now, and two have partially melted down. 

There is not a good supply of water or food in so many areas.  The people who died suddenly will at least not have suffered what those who have survived will endure. 

I thought earlier today that it is so sad that the one nation devastated by nuclear war is now being similarly threatened by the peaceful use of this technology.  Hard to look at aerials from before and after the tsunami. 

I still haven't seen anyone looting, though, have you?  They are standing in line, waiting their turn, two days later....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm cooking stew, cookies, on computer and watching Dateline right now.   Some of things I've heard on Dateline.

At one time  88,000 were missing.  Yes,  88 thousand.   Don't know where that number is right now.    Out of one town of 17,000 they estimate  10,000 are dead.     One town of 7,500 is gone.      

Still no looting.   They wait patiently in line for over 2 hours to use the pay phone.   Others are walking on the train tracks for miles to get home.    They wonder if it might be genetic that allows a people to stay calm and do for themselves. 

The generators kicked in properly after the earthquake to cool the reactors.  The tsumani killed the generators.   I heard it is 6 reactors  at 3 different plants.     But,  they are getting under control.   More radiation than 3 mile island but less than Chernobyl.   That from NBC  science expert.  

Have wondered about Agriculture.   The one video looks like possibly greenhouses being washed over.   Have heard at another site that whole hog sites are gone.    Those that are not gone can't get feed.   Feed facilities were on the coast.   

Hope our aircraft carriers get there with  supplies for people. 

Are you prepared?   My worries here would be a fire or a tornado.   I really do not do a good job of backing up my computer record books like I should.   And then... where do you store them.  Tornadoes and fires are totally covered by insurance here  so stuff can be replaced.    It would be stressful  and once we don't have hogs the stress would be alot less. 

May the angels watch over the people of Japan  as they go through this terrible time.  

Time to check the food. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The order and respect has to come from their upbringing. Then again, the survivors may believe that if they aren't orderly, they won't get help.

I watched a show about the Chinese youth. It is amazing how similar they can act like Americans. It may not be evident on the surface, but it is there.They hide it so they aren't punished by their communist government.

0 Kudos