cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Fall has fell!

Really could tell it outdoors today. Mild, warm sunshine, high only in the seventies. The pumpkins and gourds are getting there, the flowers are putting on a brave last show.

I found bright orange rose hips on some of the spring-planted bushes today, while checking them after making a last bed of new ones. Stuck a row of garlic bulbs into the berry bed, and worked my way around the wasps, who wanted the ripe blackberries almost as much as I did.

My cherry tree is already changing color. Sort of shocked me. The mums and other fall perennials are starting to break open their buds. Just a peaceful few hours of puttering about in total quietude. My only problem was rustling the housecat back indoors. She really wanted to be a wildcat today.

Hope the coming season is a good one fir all of you. My crowd is busy with the last cutting of hay. They didn't even miss me today.
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Fall has fell!

Yes.. leaves are starting to turn.  Seeing lots of pumpkins out now.  Chilly in the morning and hot in the afternoon... which means jackets get taken off and hung on a fence or put in the pickup to where we can't find them the next morning.  

We had a little pop up storm blow thru here Saturday evening.  Lots of wind and lightening.   We only got .5 rain here but just NE of us they had 5".  It appears that a small tornado when thru by one of our pastures..  twisted trees, down fence, and a neighbor's barn blown down.    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sounds like you were lucky to just be on the edge of that storm! We are racing some weather today and tomorrow...were supposed to be sunny for at least seven more straight, but rain has cropped up for midweek on the forecast. I think every field of hay bit one tiny one has been but since last Wednesday.

I get you on the jackets. Only cool enough maybe once so far for Mike to mention on morning calf check. They will start walking away in a week or so, and none will come back until they run out. At least after this haying pass is done, the big plastic drinking tumblers will finally get rounded up and returned.

It's always something, right?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I understand how you feel. It all comes at once when you are especailly busy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We've been on the cool for probably the whole month. Guess it's nice for the kids going back to school. Today is just awful. Don't know if I'm fighting a cold or if something is going to seed, but I've spent a good part of the last hour sneezing.
0 Kudos