cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Farm Sign?

UPS just delivered our new farm sign for Mike's place in Virginia today.  It is a neat silhouette design made of metal, very reasonable.
I saw this craftsman's standard work at the Craftsman's Classic in Richmond on November 1st, and emailed her to see if we could do a custom job a few days later. She was great to work with...emailed me three different versions, very specifically to my desires. I would say it has been maybe a two-week turnaround, from start to finish.

I asked her to chop down a horsedrawn plowman and team to the size I needed for the board under the farm bell mounts. We had re-done the family farm bell this summer, and our son built a very sturdy wooden support for it. The end result was a 22x 27 inch mounting spot, so I asked for an 18 high by 24 wide sign.
She offered to powdercoat it to match the glossy black paint on the bell, which is traditional. Under the silhouette, I had her cut "Winn Family Farm 1859", in a three-line configuration. It looks perfect...cannot wait to get it mounted later this week.

Tried to insert the photo, but it comes back as too large a file, no matter what I do. Just wondered if you folks have a farm sign, what it looks like.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Re: Farm Sign?

We do not have a farm sign.  We have a rock that we were thinking of getting our "R" put on it.  It has fallen over in the last couple years, so we have not proceeded with the initial!  My parents gravestone has a silhouette of the home farm etched on it...pretty cool.  My sister is an artist, so she worked with the stonecutter. 

0 Kudos

We've relied on Seed Corn provided signs in recent years.   Although my husband hasn't been a seed corn dealer for almost 20 years we've never taken down the sign with his name next to the mailbox.   Makes the delivery people happy to know they are at the right place.   Then all they have to do is decide which house they go to.   About the time we have them trained  we'll probably move.  

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

We got a farm sign yrs. ago with our names  & our reg. holstein name.  Double sided & the L is off one side.  We've had two really nice signs from Prairie Farms, our milk company, and in the storm last week it was broken off from the post.  An omen perhaps?  Don't think it's fixable & at this stage, why? 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I was surprised to find out how stonecutters are as reasonable as ours was, and see the types of work they can do. I have two halves of a huge, blue stone on my home-place, with the two family names that settled and lived there, with the years each one came cut into them.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It might benefit you to place signs at the entrances to the guest house once you move, to redirect traffic to the new residence.
We deal with people trying to figure out which of four houses on one lane is which on Mike's place...this with residents changing in three rentals occasionally.

Mike saw the UPS guy driving up the lane, shaking his head, last week. He had missed the turn to the one he wanted. We are required bylaw to have house numbers of 4 inches high or larger, so, they are all posted. I do not see how some people miss them, but you have to be in sight of each house to notice them.

When the NC county did its 9-1-1 addressing about a decade ago, they tried to put a separate three - digit number on each HOG house! That would have cost a fortune to comply woth, so we compromised by addressing each well house and the generator house, which meant only four new addresses to post and remember.
0 Kudos

Nope, no farm sign. I'm not selling anything and won't be one while I have a choice. Kind of pretentious, maybe? EXTREMELY rare in iowa.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I should probably explain that this one is going at our small farmhouse, a mile from the county road...nit so much advertising, as sort of private historical marker.

We have a pretty large roadside sign here in NC, which does help a lot with freight deliveries. We don't take deliveries in VA. You see a variety of farm signs in VA and NC.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

PS

We have a Voluntary Ag District sign posted at the highway end of the farm, too. That is part of our protective ordinance for working farms.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: PS

It is sort of a new trend here as there are new businesses in the Amish community that are making very realistic looking stones with the writing on them. I just have not decided if is a good idea.

0 Kudos