cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Farm Ville

Anyone play the FarmVille' online game? (who has time,right?)  Our state Farm Bureau magazine gave it plenty of space in this month's magazine. 80 million are playing. I am wondering if it is a gain for ag or bad for ag. We know farming is not a game but few do. You farm on schedule and buy and sell etc. But no problems like weather or pests or breakdowns etc.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IDSFarms2008
Frequent Reader

Re: Farm Ville

My kids quit playing it because it was so unrealistic.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I will admit that I do not get it.  I can understand the attraction of country living if you are stuck in a city apartment or suburb, but most of the FB requests I get for stuff needed on the "farm" seem to come from other country women...or maybe that is who is on my friends list.  And, I love you gals, but I do not play Farmville!

Unless it includes stuff like TGE in a farrowing house, snakes in the hens' nests, or hailstorms like Rusty got a short while ago, it is pure fantasy,  as we all know.  I am sure it will give as false a picture of farming as a business as does this "Mary Jane's Farm" magazine I subscribed to a while back.  The woman who evidently owns and lives on that farm alone, except for her pet chickens, is constantly twanging blissfully away on her banjo.  That's what I do all day...you too, right? 

Eighty million people think they want be a farmer now?  How come we can't find one on a regular basis who wants to help pick up hay on a hot day? 

If one in a million of them want to get irrigation equipment for their birthday every year for five years in a row, as I did from about ages 25-29, and a shiny red baler for Valentine's Day, they would have a better idea of what farming is really all about....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have to admit I play Farmville, and Farmtown. I guess with my broke ankle I will be playing more than I had been. I do not use real money like some, I feel like I spend enough REAL money farming, I do not need to spend any more on FAKE farms. I know that most people do not understand farming. I was so excited when I found this site, because the people on here knew exactly what happens year to year since they actually farm, I could communicate with. We have family that lives on the farm and works in town, and they still have no clue on what it takes to farm every year.

0 Kudos