cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Favorite spice or blend?

Mike is licking the bowl of apples I roasted up for dessert right now. Had three with dings, and didn't feel like eating them plain before they went to the bad.

Ran the corer/ slicer gadget on them, spread out the slices on a foil-lined sheet pan. Sprinkled them with some coconut sugar and a spice blend called Ras el Hanout. Learned about it in my first Paleo cookbook.

Can't remember if it is Mediterranean or Middle Eastern, but it goes from sweet to savory. I use it in sides, main dishes, and even on a dessert, like tonight. After these got hot and started going away from fully crispy, i put them in a bowl and shaved a little butter over them. Let it melt, stirred to coat with the good stuff, and served with a dab of whipped cream.

O.M. G. SO good! What is even better, the house has this wonderful spicy scent in the air.

Much as I love rosemary, this blend is really becoming a standout ingredient for me.

Made me wonder: What's your favorite spice or blend? How do you utilize it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Favorite spice or blend?

I do not have a faavorite spice but I do have a favorite company, Penzeys, for mail order. They have a wonderful selection.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look them up online...assuming they are there!
Chef's Catalog is really pushing their spices and blends in a separate catalog now, but I haven't bitten yet.
Herbs are really doing well in the little rock spiral Winn and I built here at Jenna's. Got to get myself using more of them fresh!

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

My favorite blend is Greek seasoning.  Not sure what company but it comes in a yellow bottle and we use it for just about everything.  Eggs, chicken, pork, beef, wild game. 

0 Kudos