cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Finally! After five long years!

Put our camper on the truck today. We have a full sized truck camper that we put on our big Chevy. Used to take one or two big loop trips per year, one on August, one after harvest. Saw and camped in 38 national parks. Then life happened in the form of grandkids, my career, ed's consulting, a new farm, elderly parents, some health issues, etc.

It became easier to just book a flight or a cruise and our camper sat in the barn. I enjoyed every trip we took but i longed for the open road and the campfire s and the wilderness and wildlife we saw as can only be truly seen when you can wilderness camp. We have been in some amazing places, places you just dont see on a tour.

Well, today the camper went on the truck....wooohooo! I stepped inside and it was like stepping back in our lives. It felt so good. I pulled all the equipment out. Ed is taking it this week to the RV place to be completely checked out. The plan is to drive to Alaska to the State Fair and Danali NP. I actually remember doing a log on here about some of our trips, maybe back in 05 or 06. Have we really been on here that long?

Anyway, with a bit of luck and a bunch of things falling into place here and at work we might be able to pull it off. Stay tuned....
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Finally! After five long years!

There is nothing quite like RV travel,  is there? 

We did a bit - in retrospect, not nearly enough - with a popup with the klids when they were young, and it was all a blast.   What adventures...and, the only way we could afford them!

When we got into the bikes eight years ago, the next step was a toyhauler.  I am so glad Mike and Jenna got to take several great trips together in the NC and VA mountains, crossing into KY,  WV and TN.  It got to be their "thing". 

I am glad you and Ed are getting back into the game. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm jealous!  I so badly want to go to Alaska and we are slowly but saving up for that trip.  I think it would be fun to drive and camp on the way but Todd isn't interested in something like that.  YOu get to see so much more of the country but like you said, it's easier to book a flight and get there quicker. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have always thought that would be ideal. Friends did the same thing and loved the trip. I do hope it falls into place for you.  DH really does not like pulling our camper. We are staying in a cabin this year for our annual trip to a big Antique Show.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sounds great to me. Used to have a nice 24' camper BC (before cows) LOL. Kids were younger and we had some great times. DH now says he rather camp at Holiday Inn. He would like to see Alaska and grand canyon even tho he's not a traveler.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Turkey, what Antique Show? Are you talkng about Mt Pleasant, Iowa?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

No, we have been to the Iowa show but we were no really impressed with it. This one is in Portland IN in Jay County. It is a large show with a huge market area along with the tractors and other displays.  Another one in our area is the White River Valley show in Daviess Co. at Elnora. It is also large and in it's 26 year with plenty of tractors and huge flea market area and other displays. The Portland show has people from every state attend and the Elnora show equals or is at least a close second as Indian's best. There are lots of shows in Indiana but these are the best in terms of size, displays and flea markets and facilities.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Turkey...I still have the note on my dresser that has the name of your show on it! 

We used to go to Old Threshers every year too.  Just not real impressed with it anymore.  Too many people crammed into too small of a space.  We do like the steam engines as we have one too, but at another smaller show.  At our show the steam engines actually work.  Plow, thresh, pull, etc.  Getting more and more antique tractors (of course our personal collection is growing too and it goes up there).  My husband takes the camper and stays the week.  That is the only time the camper goes anywhere.  I call it his "dog house"!  I am a hotel camper too.  Grew up with 7 kids in a tent.  When the rain started to run through the tent, that was about the end of our tent camping days.  Mom and Dad had a 37 ft fifth wheel that they lived in for 4 months every year when they went south.  Would love to see Alaska, but not on an ocean cruiser.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I understand what you are saying. We had water run through our tent once while the kids and I slept during the storm in the car and DH stayed in the tent. It was a mess.

I should have clarified that the shows I mentioned are antique shows but these two have grown way beyond tractors and have other things too. WRV show has several small buildings with a store, bank, candle shop etc. and make sorghum, soap and apple butter. The flea market has about everything.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One time I stayed in the camper shell overnight. Truly primitive, since didn't include amenities, but better than sleeping on the floor of another camper. Had a mattress that was specially made to fit over the front half of the truck bed. Could also sleep on the way to and from trips while someone else was driving. Like you said, nothing is better than bringing a household with you so the journey can be the vacation; not just the destination. Have you figured out your route? Would be a good way to stop and visit with those of us on the way.

0 Kudos