cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Finally Friday! Checking on you...

My little buddy is sleeping in a while with his Daddy, who is off from his public job today. Sipping this second espresso shot, getting ready for another scorcher...nineties here most of the week.

Mike got a couple of fields baled here in Carolina yesterday, so we are hauling up a big trailer load to the haybarn on his place later today. Been a busy week...meetings all clump into second week of the month, it seems, and I had three appointments on top of that. Do your meetings pile up that way, too?

My trainer has said both sessions this week that I am tight as a banjo string...sitting in a car seat is really bad for my hips and knees. I really need a weekend walking around the garden, bending and stooping, to loosen up the knots.

Bloodwork report this week showed a real drop in my stress hormones...in the high-normal range, instead of off the chart as before. Maybe being outdoors and digging in the dirt really is therapeutic! I am sure some of these supplements I gulp twice a day are starting to kick in, too. Herbs may not be fast, but over time, they can be really effective.

Mike has assembled a pile of lumber scraps, ready to draw the corners for the greenhouse at zjenna's. We pull strings and start digging postholes tomorrow...so many delays have cropped up. I think he sees I have been really patient, and putting it off further would be really unfair.

Actually, the delays have let me think through the design better, making it fit regular lumber dimensions with much less waste. Do you ever find that having to wait longer makes something turn out better? I am thinking about Suey and her big, new kitchen...that has to be like a dream come true.

Also, wanting updates on everyone....

Dairymom, how's the smoking cessation plan going?

How are your families doing? Manureseller, is the house construction on track?

I know planting is still held up by weather in some spots...how about your place? Is farming moving along, even if behind schedule this year?

Chime in and let us know how it goes!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Re: Finally Friday! Checking on you...

It's been a sad week since we lost Rex last Tuesday.  We are still waiting to hear from the vet what happened since we decided to do a necrospy due to it being sudden and he was only 7 years old.  It's left a huge void in our house and hearts and especially for me since he was my 4 legged shadow. 

The good news is though we have flags in the ground and hope to be breaking ground soon for the new house!!!!  We are so excited and can't wait to move on to this "adventure". 

Other then that it's been work work work for both of us.  Todd is trying to do his job plus run routes and what not.  A never ending story for him it seems.  At work here we still have guys trying to put soybeans and edible beans in as well as trying to spray wheat and corn and some soybeans.  I've been keeping up on scouting and other duties so there seems to be no rest for the wicked this year.  LOL  Oh well at least we are going.  I'm pretty sure our big "drought" is over but ask me in July again. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

it is tough to lose apet expecially one so young. Hope you find the cause.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It was shocking to bear about Rex. I remember his puppy pictures, not that many years ago. I, too, hope you get answers from the vet.

Flags! It's gettin' REAL!
0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

Sorry for the loss of Rex. Dogs are some of the best people ever.  

My week has been a whirlwind of crazy.   Had our state breed show over the weekend.  Packed up from there Sunday afternoon and sent DD and one heifer with some friends to the South Central Regional show early Monday morning.   I stayed home because we finally had a break in the weather to get some planting done and hay put up.   DD was on cloud nine after winning the bred and owned show at the regional.    She got home about 1030 wednesday night and went right to bed because she had to work the next day.   Got a call about 11:45 pm that one of her dearest friends had passed away unexpectedly that day.   She was like a daughter to me and a sister to my kids.   The rest of the week has been a blur.  We are back into a rainy pattern having had an inch of rain every night since Wed.   

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Oh, how upsetting! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your family friend.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

I'm really making progress on the big house.   I've hired a 15 year old girl to help  paint,  strip wall paper and clean.  She's ambitious and a good worker.  My living room is  now painted and clean.   She knows that room inside and out.    Taped it,  sealed it,  painted it,  untaped,  worked on cleaning  up the oops that bled under the tape,  vaccumed and shampooed the carpet.    Looks good.  couch, and recliners are delivered Monday PM.   She started taking  100 year old wall paper off this afternoon.    I've started putting things away in the kitchen.   Tried out the dishwasher today.   Frig and dryer  to be delivered Monday too.  

Planting is done  AGAIN.   Unfortunately,  Tom decided to do a  nongmo test strip.   Looks like about less than 1%  was roundup ready.  He felt terrible.   He sprayed about 8 acres of nongmo corn with roundup before his brain engaged.    The replant was free.   We're calling it the idiot discount.     The new corn is up.   The truckers,  neighbors,  feed delivery man, etc.  ask if it is our corn and what happened.  Also, this week corn has been going out of here.  One day we had 4 semis hauling.  Kept Tom hopping at 2 bins to keep them truckin'. 

Next week will be busy.   Work on the house,   getting ready for little pig delivery.   Pigs come Friday morning.   As soon as I get them tucked in.. we are leaving for Storm Lake,  Iowa.   My son and future DIL  are coming to pig sit.    My college room mate's son is getting married, and my friends  from College will all be coming  with spouses for the festivities.    Then on Sunday we will get up to come get Ainsley.   Told DD I'd call when we  hit Des Moines  so we can try and meet some place between Quad Cities and Rockford.   I'll be tired of driving.    Then we have Grand daughter for  one whole week.  Her mommy and daddy are in charge of a national Holstein show that week... plus there is always hay to make.  

Tom's siblings will be showing up on 25th.   So,  the house needs to be ready.  Will be a short crew this time.   Looks to be no cousins this time. So only 9 plus us and Ainsley.   And sometime next week  I have to take time to go get my hair cut and permed. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Wow!

You KNOW i have to ask...do your upcoming guests include your shopaholic SIL?
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Yes,  she is coming.   I fearing that  she will see that I don't have a fully furnished kitchen  in the big house yet and go buy stuff.  I'm going to clean out quite a bit of unused stuff from small kitchen to hopefully hold her off.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I don't think I could share my NEW home with that many people before I had a chance to enjoy it first. That may be selfish but I still remember my BIL coming into our remodeled home and insisting that he try out the brand new shower in the middle of the day before we had a chance to use it and move in.

I am happy for you that it is going so well.

0 Kudos