cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Fun with cinder blocks

Hello, ladies! Hope you have all been well! I found something I had to share! I put a slideshow together this week for our sister site, Living the Country Life, on ways to use cinder blocks (cement blocks) in the yard and garden.

If your farm is anything like mine, you have several of these blocks lying around already, so these projects would essentially be free! I am so building a cinder block couch and tables to go around my firepit, and that cinder block patio bar would be pretty great for entertaining friends this summer!

Take a look, let me know what you think, and tell me how you've used cement blocks on your farm!

10 clever ways to use cement blocks

Here's one of my favorite photos from the slideshow!
101778085.JPG

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Fun with cinder blocks

Lsa, I need to aplogize fir ribbing you about these ideas. " Cinderblocks" and "comfortable" just do not combine easily, in my feeble mind.

Then again, I am a hog farmer: stainless steel appliances remind me of feeders, and cinderblocks are manure pits.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

LOL, Kay! I have used cinder blocks to make little end tables around my fire pit, but I'm going to try a few more projects with them this spring. I really love the bar ... stacking blocks to make columns, then topping with wood to make a bar-style seating area. I'm also going to build a couch or chair, but I'm going to design them to fit a pre-made lounge chair cushion so it won't be so hard! I do like the idea of firepit furniture that won't catch on fire, and that the wind won't blow away! I'll post pictures when it happens!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think you ideas are very clever and sturdy for sure.  Would be nice at our cabin but I did notice the holes and thought of insects coming out of them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Was recently at a cattle sale on a farm.  They had landscaping bricks made into a "grill" in a shed.  It had the flat top 14 x 14 (approx) stones laid around the top.  It was probably 6 x 6 with an exhaust hood overhead.  It was really neat.  They cooked rib eye steaks for everyone. The shed was built on a corn crib foundation with only the center drive having to be filled in with cement.  The walls were roofing steel up about 4 feet and then nice board above that.  Had family relics and pictures around.  Also had picnic tables and sink/counter.  Oh, also had a wood stove for heat.  It was really nice.  Family has 8 kids, so lots a graduation parties there as well as cattleman meetings etc. 

I am with kay...cinder block and comfort do not go hand in hand!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We are picking up an entire cube of 8-inch block this afternoon, for repairs. Lisa could do a whole ampitheater with 144 of those babies!
0 Kudos