cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Garden gurus....

Something I've been pondering so I figured I would ask the ladies of knowledge here.  We haven't done a garden for the past couple of years because the space that was here before just isn't a good spot.  It is shaded on both the east and the south side, in a low spot, and just not very good ground.  Todd reseeded it last year after our previous attempt.  It doesn't help that I don't have the most time to spend out there but I do enjoy a little time in the garden and the prouce is always great.  Anyways, I got to thinking today about doing a larger container type garden and started looking through the junk pile for something to use when it hit me....we have the large plastic kiddie pool for the dogs.  You know the ones that are a hard plastic about a foot deep give or take.  Would that make a good garden do you think?  They are fairly cheap and durable and storeable for next year.  I can get them for around $10 or less  and I can put them in a better position for sun and growing conditions.  Any yay or nays on this idea?  Even if I don't get it planted this year and I am putting in a couple of tomato plants and pepper plants for this year but would like to expand for next year.  I'm using my old horse lic tubs for tomatos and peppers this year. 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Garden gurus....

Have thought about using those pools, but had the sheep troughs on hand already paid for, so went that route instead. I am sure you know that you will need drainage holes in any container.

Containers are one way to raise up a bed and improve drainage..., but, this means you may well need to water more often than an in-ground garden, too. A foot of medium ought to be plenty for most vegetable crops. Start composing your horse stable litter for
some good soil amendment next year.
Whenever you want to try something like this, it makes sense to use the one pool you have as a sort of trial bed. It should be small enough for you to reach the center. Tomato cages will stand up in that depth. You can situate containers against a fence line for trellising.
It sounds worth a try to me...but, then, I am the nut who's growing a garden in sheep troughs, and will soon be starting pumpkins and gourds in compost in an old trampoline frame. I think it sounds like a great idea. We use the empty protein tubs for some
plants, too. I have one with the last few seed from every packet growing at the end of a trough row right now.

If you don't try it, you wil never know!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Consider the rabbits. If your place is like ours, they come and eat more than their share. If I was going through the expense of a kiddie pool garden, I would raise it high enough to keep the bunnies out and help reduce the stress on your back. Concrete blocks could support it and allow for drainage from the drilled holes needed. Can you drain the prior garden location or raise its elevation. West sun should grow peppers really well as long as they don't get wet feet.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Birds working on some of myntiny plants this spring. They ate one variety of squash to extinction. Then, the cotton that the neighbor planted emerged, and they evidently had better pickins. Mother Nature is a real "B" sometimes!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Did you have your owl out? There are several devices that claim to scare birds away. We have plenty of hawks, so don't see that much of problem with birds. Real owls have been hooting, though. Hard to get to sleep some nights. Even harder to get TV reception when they use it as a roost.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Plenty of owl and hawks here, but I have a feeling that crows ate my plants. They are too smart to be caught unawares.

Put out hummingbird feeders last week, and the one by the porch is drawing some action. Mike is intrigued with them when we are sitting out there in late afternoon.

Funny how we go to considerable expense to draw some birds, and spend as much or more to run others away.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Somthing has killed several of our grandson's hens, just kills them and leaves them. What would do this?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Daytime or nighttime? Several at once, or one at a time? Throats cut or bitten up all over?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Possibly coons.....I've seen them go after chickens before.   Or is your dog getting into the coop and getting the birds? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Draining isn't really an option nor is filling and leveling the spot.  Sunlight will still be a factor unless I take down a grove of trees, which I don't foresee happening anytime soon.  LOL  Rabbits aren't an issue either as the dogs do a great job of keeping critters away...except for skunks....which they seem to be best friends with some days.  Smiley Mad  raising it up a little bit would work really well and I could get some pallets from work to do that since we don't have any concrete blocks around here unless I find some to purchase cheap.  My biggest expense will be the pool or pools so I'm looing at $30 max.  Dirt and mulch I have here as well as the horse manure that I've cleaned out and piled.  I can steal a bit of that to work into the soil of the pools.  Like I said, this is a project for next year but something I'm thinking about now.  I did tomato and peppers last year in pots that worked okay except for a big wind blowing the pots.  I'm using the horselic tubs this year...I don't get money back if I exchange them so why not use them myself.  LOL

0 Kudos