cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Garden gurus....

I would give you 3 candidates. possums, ferrets, and mink. Are the hens outside or inside. If inside patch holes before the rest are decimated. Live traps may help if you don't your dogs or cats (not to mention humans) injured by other traps.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If you are going to the trouble top stack pallets anyway, it is really helpful to have the bed lips at about knee height. Most people build a "raised" bed, but it is only six to eight inches high. That may be okay for drainage, but it is still a hard bend to work them at that level.
Knee level is great for working...planting, weeding, picking. Three pallets ought to bring them up to a good height, and the pallets can certainly handle the weight of the containers.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It would be weasels, skunk, or stray dogs in our parts
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Chicken eaters...skunks here!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure if I quite understand this as I'm really skimming messages fast.  What are you going to plant in the plastic pools?  I would question if there was enough depth for a root system on a lot of vegetables.  Guess it depends on what is being planted.  Don't forget to punch a holes for good drainage.  I also agree I'd rather do something a little higher.  Would it be heavy enough to withstand strong winds?  Guess I'm thinking of my place where we really are in the path of tunnel winds due to the interstate. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Using the pallets to raise the pool beds would be a no- go here, since such a thing would just turn into a copperhead condo. It is always a concern here in the Southeast.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I measured the pool that I have here for the dogs and it is 18" deep so I would figure that would be deep enough for most veggies for the growing season.  Our season is normally short here in North Dakota so I shouldn't have to worry too much about that.  I'm looking at lettuce, peas, beans, onions, possibly radishes, and peppers.  If I get really ambitious I might try cukes but since Todd's not a big cuke eater that is a wait and see idea.  I will still plant my tomatoes in the horselic mineral tubs since those are about 24" deep.  I believe with the pool filled it will be plenty heavy enough to withstand our 50mph winds that seem to do so well up here but if need be I can somehow anchor it down as well.  The pallets shouldn't be a problem for setting up and I won't have to worry too much about critters other then the occasional skunk.  The good thing about raising the pool and tubs up is that I'll be able to save my tomato plants from my tomato stealing dog.  Rex ONLY goes for the ripe ones the little brat.  Peas and beans aren't safe from him either.  LOL  No poisnous snakes on this side of the Missori river to worry about either so I should be good to go.  It probably won't look pretty the first year of set-up but I really think it will work.  I'll need to do some reading up on the raised bed gardening and such.  I also appreciate the suggestion of setting it up higher...makes a lot of sense if you ask me. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That is why I mentioned concrete blocks. If you stack them as if for a basement, the snakes can't bite your legs. Just make certain that the tops are covered, either with plywood or the pool itself. Am not a big fan of snakes either. Don't have copperheads, but even a rattler or a cottonmouth would be one too many.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Back to  the chicken eaters, how do you trap them? What do you put in the cage?

0 Kudos