cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

Gardening plans

I have been daydreaming about gardening. Seems like every year about this time, I start planning and thinking, "This is the year I plant a big garden again!" And then spring comes, and we're so busy with baseball, and before I know it, it's mid-summer and I haven't planted a single thing.

Last year I wanted to do some raised beds. That didn't happen. I saw an idea on pinterest using cement blocks to form a raised bed. That seems do-able. 

So what are your plans for gardening this year? Going with what you've always done, or trying something new? I want so badly to make it happen this year. I still have my seed-starting kit from last year, still unopened, LOL!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Gardening plans

Other than about a thousand spring bulbs I managed to get into the ground here at Jenna's last fall, we have new dwarf fruit trees and blackberries planted.   Honeyberries and strawberries ( mostly everbearing ones) are on order.  Some other stuff is coming...lilacs, which smell like Heaven to me...can't remember what else.

Mike and I have about agreed to give up on trying to garden the muck we live on in NC...everything wants to rot before it can even get ripe there.  The farm in VA is so much better drained...if much of what I planted last year survives winter, it will be a garden spot to enjoy, instead of aN aggravation.

I have started a batch of herb seeds in pots in the sunspace here, and bought a few vegetable seeds for transplants today in town.  Scored a couple dozen nice pots fro that on 90% off last fall. 

I actually did some winter gardening chores this past weekend...deadheading the mums one last time, weeding out some volunteer ryegrass in the beds.  If we have a normal winter, I shouls be asking Mike to till up a perimeter for wildflowers seeds in 4-6 weeks.  

He says we can try a few beds here this spring.  I am stashing the seed catalogs here, where I actually uave some time to dream.  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Gardening plans/PS

Just got second Stark catalog in the box tonight...asparagus and the wildflowers ought to go into the same waste corner of the yard in VA.  I forgot about the Jersey Giants...also, I ordered a red, white and blue assortment of seedless grapes.  We go through some grapes around this place!

The last two roses are supposed to come this spring, too.  Yellow " Smiley Face"climbers...they get to be 12 feet high.  

I asked for Lowe's gift cards for Christmas, so I can buy more clearance perennials and trees as they become available this coming growing season.  

We are scoutng outnthe best place for about nine 4x4 beds, some resin ones I got on clearance year before last.  i may do some wall o' waters with tomato and pepper plants this spring...they really get the stuff off to a fast start, protected from cold and late frosts.  They are stashed in a shed here somewhere....

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

...I was amazed! As soon as Christmas decorations came down at Walmart...the Burpee Seed Display went up! We're in NW Ohio! It doesn't get fit to plant anything here till at least the 3rd week of March! Even the seeds that need starting early and transplanting would be a little gangly by the time it's nice enough to plant them outside!

...And that concrete block idea for raised beds sounds good. Maybe a padded board across the top  of them to kneel on when working in the beds would be nice. Can be movable from one side to the other.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Both things are up in stores here...I have never seen stores holding Christmas clearances this far into the new year.  Seed display wentbup in Lowe's in our Va location, but NC area store says not for a few more weeks yet.  

I am trying some indoor herb growing this winter, and wanted some seeds I didn't find via amazon, so grabbed some at that Va store yesterday.  They were right beside the leftover holiday junk.  

I had noticed Halloween clearance things out past Christmas at Pier One this year.  I think people have sort of hit the wall on their credit, and cannot just blow money on plastic witches' pots and fake greenery garlands anymore.  

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Those catalogs seem to start coming earlier each year. I am never ready as I like the winter months to do things I don't have time for the rest of the year like quilting. Now there is tax prep first etc.

I never have luck starting plants from seed. The plants need the correct amount of heat and light to not be too spindly to put out. I find it better to purchase plants. I have a lot of seed in the freezer ready to go but always need something else. I do hope it is a better year for gardens and crops. We have flooding here now.

0 Kudos