cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Getting ahead of the cold?

These extended forecasts have is moving into the deep freeze tomorrow night. I reminded Mike yestersay to drain anything that can crack and ruin yesterday...mostly the irrigation reels and guns now. I asked him to remind daughter to prepare the hog buildings for the teens on the way, too. Got to follow up on that tomorrow, when we are back down south.

He will haul up more firewood today here in VA, and says he is going to cut fenceposts from a pile of salvaged power poles. We will likely head back earlier than originally planned, because he will want to move more wood up to the boiler shed in NC, too. I will be making a Sam's run, maybe pulling a few produce items at one more store's fresh fruits and veggies department. Hate to be stuck indoors eating bad food!

Daughter gave me two containers of Winn's outgrown stuff for the resale store, which is in town up here. Dropping that off and have to give them an hour or so to process it all. Wish they opened earlier...not until ten. That makes the whole morning a town trip. If I just do groceries, I can usually be done and back by that time.

We have to make decisions about what to leave the heat set at, each time we leave one house, headed for the other one. Here, it is 66 on the electric system, which sometimes doesn't even have to run, if the fire holds up in this small boiler. In NC, it is 70 on the boiler, to extend the burn time of a big firebox full of wood.

We are still learning to manage this two-house lifestyle, and every season is different in every year. I am scraping up a little electric heater for the studio house wellhouse. First time that's been on our to-do list. Water's turned off to the house plumbing, and I am scratching my head over alternative, probably wood, heating for that one...hope to figure it out by next winter. Just not ready to deal with it this year!

Making a list for Mike, to check antifreeze on the work van we just bought from our son, plus my little truck up here, the two tractors we keep on this place. He and daughter are texting each other back and forth about pre-freeze details, and she wants to know where Winn's snowpants are...!!?

I am always to blame, when most often, stuff gets taken off at other grandma's house, and not returned. One pair of very nice boots got totally outgrown, stashed in her drawer, while I was being told daily I had them.... Yes, this ticks me off!

We are thinblooded Southern people. Not made right for this weather. Hope I can find some leggings in my size in town today. If, not, the baggy ones from last winter will keep me slmost as warm, right?

How do you folks get ready for the Deep Freeze?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Getting ahead of the cold?..PS

Sorry, I think I ask this question every time it drops below twenty here, and you folks would be happy to see it get that WARM!
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: Getting ahead of the cold?

when we know weather is coming, dh bed'in down the cattle better and makes sure tractors are plugged in and tells me if I need anything from town for the next few days I better go now!

So yesterday I went, in all my shopping at the grocery store in over 20 years that is the first time it took me longer to check out then to shop, never seen it so busy!!

We did have a small blizzard yesterday, but all calm and white now, dh out moving snow with the tractor before he leaves.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting ahead of the cold?..PS

We were so thrilled it was just a little above 20 today with no wind!  Balmy!!      Wind has since come up and temp has started dropping.,   Several area schools already cancelled for tomorrow but not ours so far.   It is supposed to dip pretty low with a high tomorrow of 7 and windchills -25 or lower.  brrr is right

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

30 to 40 below wind chills here today.  Surprising the roads werent that bad although I did have to buck some drifts on the gravel road as the snow plows have not gone through and I don't imagine seeing them until the wind goes down.  Did make it to work although I got it in the back and may have to go to the doctor...don't want to be in a building with all the flu people though, so I have been holding out.

0 Kudos
Veteran Reader

A long time lurker here. Decided to join today after seeing Kay's post about getting ready for the teens!! Lol. We haven't seen the upside of zero in days!

I'll post more later when I have time but I think I will fit right in here . From what I figure, I'm about a month younger than you, Kay.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Good. We will be glad to have  you.

0 Kudos
Veteran Reader

How do I change my screen name? Didnt know how this forum would enter my screen name but I don't want my real name as my screen name. It used my gmail.
0 Kudos
Veteran Reader

I spit out my tea when reading Kay's post!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You set yur screenname in the first box on registration, your email in the second, and your password in the third.  I think if you click on your name now, it will open your settings, and you can change them. 

Or, I could say, "That's what you get for spitting your tea!"

0 Kudos