cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Giving up for Lent?

One of my favorite FB friends is a second cousin a time or two removed, who used to be a neighbor and hairdresser when the kids were small.  She still does hair, and has become a fundamentalist preacher with her own nondenominational church.  

This morning, of course, she posted, challenging everyone to give up something fo Lent.  I know our buddy Lisa is giving up FB, except for her work- related pages, so we will be without atories of the escapades of the three Prater boys until the end of March.  

My family never discussed or made any point of giving up anything for Lent, so the concept only came onto my radar when I started teaching, and some of my co- workers would set aside their Hersey's kisses and such.   Grasped the concept of Mardi Gras as one last blowout party before a season of sobriety, but I honestly have never thought about givingbup a bad habit or appetite for this season.

I know many of you are quite devout, and have gotten up this morning with your conviction to quit something firmly in mind.  For bad habits right now, about all I can give up is the Internet.   Don't know if I am ready to let go of this social outlet...this is a lifeline a lot of days.  

Have a road day, so may have time to dwell on it while I drive.   Thought I would touch in, and see if anyone here has identified a sacrifice to make....

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

Re: Giving up for Lent?

I was facebooking like crazy last night, but yep, now I'm off until Easter, except for the Women in Ag pages. The hardest thing about that is going to the WIA pages and seeing that I have notifications, but not looking at them. I will have to be strong, LOL! (I have 17 notifications right now but I won't check them!)

Jake is giving up his Calvin and Hobbes books for Lent, which he reads all the time. He handed them to me last night and asked me to put them someplace he won't find them until Easter. Luke is giving up his favorite apps on his Nook tablet, and Will is giving up the Wii ... except for Rock Band, which is something we do together as a family. Hearing him sing "Eye of the Tiger" is just too hilarious. 

We are Methodist, and not everyone in our denomination gives something up for Lent. I like the idea of it, though. It's a good time to reflect and refocus, and to make some small sacrifice to give thanks for the sacrifice made on Good Friday.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

We grew up Methodist, too...what I now think of as " convenient Christianity".  Nothing too intrusive on your way of life, the way I learned it.  

0 Kudos

Kay,

What do you think the Pope is giving up for lent?  (that's a joke).

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I think facebook would be good here too. Haven't been on today so I could add that one. I'm giving up my usual of chips and cookies. Hard ones for me. Also trying to add more prayer time. Had some other things I wanted to do for our older parishioners but that is out with my one armed situatilion.
Lisa I give you all the credit raising those boys with such great values!
ND Farmer 1
Frequent Contributor

The pope is giving up his job for lent.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Ok, that's just plain funny right there...good one. 😄
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I have so many bad habits, I don't know where to start, but I think I'm going to try to give up unhealthy food.

On the bright side, our Church doesn't officially recognize the need to 'give up for lent' except as a good gesture, so if I fail, I won't be in their bad graces.

It will likely be harder than I thought, I have the will power of a starved coyote, and my wife is talking about baking cookies.

On second thought, maybe I'll give up skydiving, instead.  At least that, I can do.

0 Kudos