cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Grabbing a gear this morning

Have been puttering along for a whole month, mostly in the " hanging with Winn" mode. His other grandparents took longer than planned on their crosscountry tour, but finally returned yesterday.

They swung by and picked him up, right about the beginning of his naptime, not quite asleep yet. I got him up and dressed, kissed him and walked back into a suddenly-empty house. Hit me like a ton of bricks....

Had a few hours to myself, so I puttered around and picked up his playyard and the house a bit. Texted Mike that I was coming to VA after plannng board, since they are back on schedule to watch Winn today, and his Daddy is off on Friday. Keeping him so I can help finish this cutting of hay.

Planning board, which often takes fifteen minutes at most, went two solid hours last night. Code amendment and a fairly complicated rezoning request had to be heard, in addition to the normal subdivision or two for a house lot. Got here just in time to see the end of "Idol", and eat a frozen meal out of the microwave.

Getting Mike out the door on one truck this morning, cooler packed, plans all laid out. I have to spend part of the day here, part bringing a load of hay covers back from NC, and part at the gym with the trainer, somewhere in between. Need a spool of rope at Lowe's, too.

Just trying to get Mike to help me figure out how much rope we need to tie these covers down was like pulling teeth. My brain feels like it went through one of those antique washing machine wringers this morning. He is askng me questions that really do not have pat answers, handing me small problems to solve, telling me to make this call then that one... figure out an alarm system malfunction, and so on.

I think it has really just hit me that my life is back to " normal"...and this is a new normal, where we have 300 acres of hay to save, twice! Got to shake off the sandbox sand, and scuffle. It's like going from Park to Overdrive, skipping every gear in between. Going to be a wild ride!

Do you find yourself getting jerked out of one pace and into another? I feel a bit whiplashed this week....
0 Kudos
6 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: Grabbing a gear this morning

.Kinda the opposite here.  I have pushing myself to keep up & fight the clock since mom went to the hospital-about 2 months ago.  Although she is pretty self sufficient now, there is still the driving to be done for her, groceries, appointments, church and settling her to keep her from going wild.  I could stay home for a long time but she hasn't been to a store other than WalMart & so it goes.  The grandkids have had extra ball practices (2 back to back), dance, & confirmation, etc. keeping me watching the clock to get a meal in them when their here.  My own kids were never that busy.  Another topic, another time.

That along with trying to keep up with the grandkids schedules & getting them off to school while DS is gone, had me hitting a brick wall.  The flu.  Haven't had it for ages and if I didn't know I was the only victim, I would suspect the morel mushrooms I fixed last night.

After being on WW I suppose all that butter they were fried in made a big impact.  It will be a long time before I sample again.

Anyway been keeping the couch company today.  Hope I'm up to getting the kids off tomorrow morning.  Don't think Ronnie would be able to do it.  Not in his DNA to hustle them along.  They'd probably all be late.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

If it helps any I understand all of this...Just got home from choir and band concert, last night it was late after a softball game and I waited for DGD to drive her home etc. And I only have one in school now.  I only ate a couple of mushrooms as I had trouble before. But I didn't have a mother to care for at the same time.  I sure hope you feel better tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Linda,  I'd bet if he really needed to, your DH  could get those kids to school on time.    Probably with time to spare.    If he fails the first time ,  they and  he'll do better next time.    Who got your kids to school when  you weren't there?    By the way... where is the school bus?    I'm under the impression you are a very rural school district and all kids would ride a school bus.      

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Suey, he did offer but I'm pretty sure I can do it.  Feeling some better.  It gets pretty tight on time.  DGS is slow poly morning kid.  

Our district is so spread out DIL works closer to the south school & they live rural dividing line of the district.  So they got annexed into the south school with the agreement  of managing their own transportation.  They drive to the south Jr High & the youngest catches the bus to the south grade school.  Our school district is in decision-making as the older schools are in need of major overhaul or else New building.  The old ones are not handicapped accessible either & we now have a couple students with needs.  Lots of meetings, lots of ideas & strong feelings.  And of course everyone's tax bill is involved.  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Linda, how old is DGS? Recent research shows that teens need more sleep, and their schools should start later. I knkw you cannot change that, but maybe he is at that stage in life?

Glad you are feelng better. That stomach stuff seems to hit me out of the clear blue sky every so often, too. I try to analyze it, and I think those prewashed, bagged salad greens can sometimes be implicated.

Sicker than a dog when it hits, and weaker than a kitten the next day.

I am sitting in my comfy chair at Jenna's right now. Yesterday was a dead run, and Mike doesn't need me, until later in the day. I need to get this store lease form filled in, and call the tenant to have it picked up.

Then, I think I will head to my place, and drill in a bit more of this bush lespedeza, until he is ready for me to help rope down the bale covers on this cutting. We plan to cover this bunch of bales there, then keep moving over his place. The kids will want him to cut some more down south soon, too.

Last dozen calves need weaning, their mamas hauled north, and now we have the store to clean out...thinking the tenant is so motivated, he offered to load out my stuff for meand clean up inside. I would be a fool to pass up that help: four or five young, strong guys, right?

We'll be able to bale our yards, if they don't get mowed soon....
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

DGS just naturally is a dawdler no matter what time of day, or how much sleep.  Always the last one to get out the door no matter when.  Unless he is on a schedule for something he is important for.  Kind of a nervous worry wart at the heart of it.  Wants to be early when he is on the altar for mass, or going to baseball practice, etc.  Then he pushes to get going.

Hate that he is a worrier.  He already has a lot of stomach issues for a kid.  Has already been on medication for it.  Who knows, he could turn completely around in another few years.

0 Kudos