cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Greening up?

Yesterday was cool and quite windy - March came in like a lion here, really roaring! 

I drove out to mail taxes off, and had decided to run the truck through the car wash, to remove the winter's coat of mud and get the inside wiped down of Suzie Q's tracks.  Mike had borrowed "my" truck for running around the farm this mucky winter...too cold for the golf carts, even with the enclosures zipped up!  (Everywhere Mike goes, his new sidekick is not far away...what a pair!) 

Drove back up the lane at about five, with the afternoon sun shining across the fields and lighting up the grass that's coming on fast now.  If fairly glowed green. 

You do not realize how much you miss that color after a winter of white and gray, until you see it shining in the sun that way.  We are surrounded by pine trees that stay their own drab shade of green all winter; but, it is so dark and dull, especially in low winter light, it almost looks black, rather than  vivid and alive. 

I felt my spirits lifting when I saw that fresh, verdant color.  Our "meteorological winter" in North Carolina is December thourgh February, and yesterday was the first of March.  I think it is a very accurate definition.  We were still in the twenties last night, but we've turned the corner seasonally...the grass tells me so. 

So, gang, is it greening up outside your window?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Greening up?

NO!  And I so wish it would.  We have a ways to go yet before we hit green...we have to get through the mud brown stage first and of course the flooding stage before we can get to that beautiful green of spring.  Soon though....very soon.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is some grass greening up in the ditches.  Last week when it was so nice, the cows had actually wandered to a differant part of the pasture to graze away from their beloved hay bales.  We have sun again today, but tommorrow and off and on this weekend is supposed to be nasty.  It can't decide if it wants to rain or snow, so we get the in between stuff.  14 years ago, I was driving in 6 inches of slush and spun and rolled my explorer.  I do not want that kind of stuff on the road again!!!  I have to go help at a calf show on Saturday for our FFA.  Hopefully the weather isn't too bad.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We are beginning to see some green here too, and it is very welcome. We have been an hour south of here today for my follow-up with the surgeon and it is much greener there. The wheat fields are showing lots of green and we also saw flooding along the rivers. It's been cool but a beauriful March day with the promise of spring.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The only green we've had so far is from the winter annuals. Will be getting a refresher course of winter driving starting Monday. Not looking forward to it.

0 Kudos