cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Grilling sgain

After a several- year hiatus, Mike actually cooked some supper on the grill tonight. We have a couple of friends overnight here at Jenna's, and I really had no inspiration for the entree. Marinated chicken all afternoon, and he did a great job grilling it.

Hoping this will get him started cooking outside again. We used to enjoy grilled suppers often...funny how you fall out of a habit. I stocked up on some hamburger at Sam's today, along with the chicken and some ribs.

Do you guys grill out very often? What's your favorite food when you do?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Grilling sgain

We (me) use our weber gas grill often in the summer. I'd say at least 5 times or more per week. Sometimes twice a day.  It is simple and easy. when my wife was working  i could quickly prepare supper. Put some porkburgers or pork chops on the grill and get a couple salads together while that cooked. Pork burgers were usually 5-7 minutes on a side depending on if the grill was "heated up". I enjoy  a porkchop as well as anything, but just me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Finally got my grill out of garage.   It was next door and buried during the kitchen remodel.    I love to do:  pork burgers,  pork chops,  brats and rib eyes.      I need to get parts ordered for it.  I bought a stainless steel LP  grill about 10 years ago.   I do have to replace the burners every 3-4 years.    Pork burgers can be done in a hurry.    From frozen to meal in about 30 minutes.   Defrost in the microwave and grill.   Never fail as long as I don't try to do too many things  while grilling.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I grill a lot during the warm weather & even sometimes in the winter.  Have a Weber kettle for charcoal & like it's  flavor best.  Use it for smoked whole chickens (ours are too big for those little beer stands), steaks, chops, burgers, etc.  But I also have a gas grill which I use for quick meals, burgers & such.  Seems to dry the meat out more tho if I don't watch it.  Also grill potato wedges & asparagus.  Keeps down the cleanup in the kitchen & less calories too.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The grill had sat and gathered dust for probably at least the three years since Jenna passed.  I think I said in the starter post that we stopped doing a lot of things then.

Mike has gotten so the wood cookstove is where we do most of the meats in fall through spring.  I am not crazy about stovetop searing in the kitchen.  Even with a decent hood, it creates too much smoke and grease. 

The chicken was delicious last night, and we had a big boneless breast left over, for slicing into a salad.  I left one of the four packages of ground chuck in the refrigerator, for supper tomorrow night.

I expect we will develop a pattern of taking out meat to thaw/marinate before we leave, so it will be ready to toss onto the grill next trip.  Last four cows will be catching a ride  there tomorrow, so burgers to celebrate that being done seems appropriate.  . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We like to grill a lot during the summer too.  I'm kind of looking at purchasing a new grill as my very old one is giving me some issues.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We just fired the grill up for the first time last night.  I had some thick boneless pork chops that I marinated and then made up some veggies to go on the grill with them.  They were awesome!!!  We don't use the grill as much as we should to be honest.  I bought a new Weber a couple of years ago and we like it but during the week we very rarely eat a decent supper and especially if we both work late or if 1 of us isn't home.  Most of our grilling happens on the weekends if Todd is home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The grill we moved to Virginia is a nice stainless Jennair. Nicest grill we've ever had.

I had asked Mike to clean it up a bit and make sure it was working well, on Friday, before company came on Saturday. I had decided to pick up salad fixings, marinate boneless chicken breasts, and roast some blooming red onions in the cast iron skillet, as a side.

He came in fuming that it wouldn't work...which really threw a wrench on my east supper plans. Finally figuree we needed a full tank of propane, to get going. That was a relief, because it is an expensive thing that hadn't been used nesrly enoigh to need repairs yet.

We are really cutting carbs again right now. That means a LOT of meat for supper. grilling will really help get that done.

What marinades to you folks like best?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Kay,

One of my new favorites for pork or chicken is made by Kraft.  It's their Chipolte Mango dressing.  I marinate chops or chicken in it and then grill and it's so good.  It's sweet and spicey and something just a little different from the regular marinaeds that I normally use. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thanks for the recommendation. That sweet and spicy combination is hard to beat.
0 Kudos