cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Grilling

With spring in the air (except for the next few days), we've been grilling a lot lately. Jayson smoked and grilled a bunch of meat on Sunday, and we've been using it for quick dinners all week. He is the master griller in the family, and I'm a novice. We cook a lot of burgers and brats, pork chops, etc. I've also made hand-held pies and cooked salmon, but I'm the only one who will really eat salmon.

What do you like to cook on the grill? Share your favorites ... I'm looking for some new ideas!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Grilling

Sorry I don't grill unless forced to.  Living in Michigan I don't like to fight the bugs for my food.  But maybe it's just this farm that makes it so uncomfortable to have food outside.

Love grilled food.  Guess if I was made of money I'd have a kitchen with the set up so you can grill inside.  Although probably still not the same.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Maybe you need a outdoor kitchen set up inside a screened in building. Cook, clean, and eat without the bugs eating you and your meal. Just a dream here too.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have cooked twice so far on the grill.  I have cooked new york strip and just last night was minute steak.  The minute steak worked great.  so much better than the leather I cook on the stove top! I like to do the potatoes in foil too.  makes things alot easier.  Spray Pam on the foil sheets, peel potatoes, run through salad shooter potato slicer, put on foil, add salt, pepper, butter and onion flakes.  cover with the top sheet and roll up edges.  I flip it alot so as not to burn, But so much easier to make potatoes that way.  I normally don't do well with stove top cooking!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

what part of the state are you in?  I have been wanting to go to Michigan for a DH and I vacation...

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

For now, Mike's Y-chromosome/live flame cooking is still on the wood cookstove. 

If past summers are any measure, a day is coming when he will say, "It's too hot to start a fire in the house today."  He will hang up his skillets for the season, and start marinating.

That will be the day we switch for the summer to grilling.  It is usually sometime in May.  I have hinted a couple of times that I'd really like some shrimp on skewers for supper, but it's a no-go so far.  

He will do a lot of marinated chicken breast portions.  I like the 5-ounce portions, since they tend to cook more evenly and all get done together...boneless skinless breasts can be very varied in size, and take very different amounts of time to cook.   We do quite a bit of shrimp on skewers, too.  I like to do ka-bobs of almost any meat with onion, mushroom and pepper chunks, too. 

I really want to try that "grill skillet" thing I bought at summer's end on clearance.  It's one of those with all the holes in it, but small enough so you can cook smaller pieces of meat and veggies without them falling through.  We really like corn grilled in the husk, and I got a holder for several ears on that same clearance rack, too. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

People used to have "summer kitchens," where they'd move the wood cookstove out to in hot months, or they'd have a separate stove out there.  Of course, even further back in time, the kitchen was a separate building entirely from the main house. 

We've got mosquitoes so bad here near the swamps, it is impossible to enjoy the outdoors at night, unless you are well screened-in.  We have had one or two really drought summers in 16 years, when the bugs didn't even hatch...but it's a really bad hay year when that comes along.  I'd rather have to buy some OFF!

I guess every place offers its unique challenges.  Ours are snakes, varmints, and bloodsucking insects...plus hurricanes.  At least our bear have so far been polite and stayed far enough away from the house.  Deer are right at our door, practically. 

I want to make a fire pit somewhere far enough from a hay field, so we can try some Dutch oven coal cookery.  It looks like a lot of fun, and we've got coals in the woodburner 365 days a year, do no fire to start.   Have any of you ever done Dutch oven campfire cooking...maybe with your Boy Scouts? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My uncle's family in South Dakota has a big family reunion every year, with people camping at the ranch. They do all of their cooking for the weekend in dutch ovens. Fun!

Here's a slideshow of grill recipes (mostly from my blog) that I put together for our sister site, Living the Country Life: 11 tasty recipes for the grill.

Also from LCL, see Dutch oven cooking and Cast iron cooks.

0 Kudos