cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Guard your identity

Daughter called a few nights ago, Tao say her debit card number had been stolen, and he husband had caught it in pending transactions on their olinw account access. They called the 24 hour line and the card was canceled, and he moved quits a bit of money from that account to another one.

When she called us, I told herthey had done about all they could for now. I deposited her paycheck to a different account, so it was not at risk, and the bank is sending her a new debit caRd.

They seem to think the thief was pinging the account wth small puechases, to see if they could get away with using the number. This morning, she told Mike they had gotten contacted by one of the companies where things had been ordered, and they told them not to ship the items, since the umber had been stolen.

I went in our bank today, to ask what they can do to further protect theirr identities. Our credit is frozen, which I elected to do several years ago...since we don't borrow anymore, it was a sort of semi- permanent way to guard our ID.

Bank rep gave me advice for them to contact one of the three credit reporting agencies, and they by law have to contact thee other
two. This is to issue a fraud alert, and request a credit report, all free of charge.

She also gave me info on the bank's ID insurance program, whoch costs a few dollars pwr month. I have seen theses ducts, but did not know the banks issue them now,

The rep commented to me that this has been an extremely more prevalent problem since the economy went sour. Oir kids will get their oney back, but I wanted to remind everyone to check your accounts and credit report, and consider freezing your credit, , or obtaining ID insurance.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Guard your identity

We went through that a year ago, ugh, I'd like to pulverize the little tattooed creep from Amarillo who had such fun with hubby's card.  Our bank took care of it and the county sherriff's office did as well.  Turned out ok on our end

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Speaking of a timely reminder, when I got up from posting that last one, I went inside, and found Mike working on a feed ordering his office. He asked if I had made any calls to Dell Computer, and I said, " You know not."

We played the message and I called the toll free number. When I told them I was returning their call, they asked for my phone number, and then referred my call up to the next level.

Second Guy asked if I had just placed an order for a Dell computer. Of course not. He asked if I had a credit card issued by the bank that issued me my card. He then said, " You need to call them immediately, and tell them your card number was stolen, and stop the payment for the Dell computer."

So, I have had my card cancelled, a new one is being expedited. Now, I get to spend a whole day calling and resetting all of my auto- pay bills up again. Neither one of the companies could explain how they allowed someone to set up delivery to a third party. That is not supposed to be done.

What is bugging us now is that daughter's debit card and my credit card got hacked within four days of each other. Just seems too coincidental. Only place I can think of that we used them at the same time and place, except for a Walmart, was the vet's office, last Thursday.

Anyway, it is a bummer, as you said. I hope that $1226 plus change is enough of a problem to make someone investigate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I hope that you called police department about the stolen card numbers. It can be investigated only if they are notified of the criminal act. The card issuers don't always do this for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I called the sheriff's department here, and also the Raleigzh PD, waiting for a return call from their investigator now. I managed to browbeat Dell enough to get the name and address " my" computer was supposed to be shipped to. They used my name, but an address in Raleigh.

Took a while to determine whether that was in Raleigh city or Wake County jurisdiction, but I have directions to the thief's house, and all the info I wanted to gather online for free. I asked the police department if a matter of this amount was sufficient foe them to investigate, and he said most definitely so. We shall see.

Anyway, whether or not the crooks are caught, I am out no money, but have a day of chanifng auto- pay info ahead, after the new card is delivered by secure courier. I have offered to appear to testify anywhere if they make an arrest. Not much more I can do from here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hire the $100 man to beat the stuffing out of them!!! (kidding...sort of)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Identify theft is such a huge violation!  Our family members have been victims also.  It is not fun to go through this.  We have a friend who purchased a criss cross shredder for his home office many years back.  This man was shredding EVERYTHING that had any identifying information on it.  The reason Identify Theft he said.  I thought he was pretty paranoid at the time, however now I believe he was being pro-active.  He told me then that individuals actually were going into dump sites and searching through rubbish for social security and credit card numbers.  ekes!  We get those approved credit card confirmation mailers continually with little sample credit cards in them -  you know what I'm referring to.  Well, each time it get them they get shredded.  Our bank sends us online notices alerting us to when they even THINK that our debit card has been compromised.  We have replaced several cards thanks to our banks warnings.  It is a shame that we have to be on such alert these days for thieves. 

By the way I'm wondering how many of you have security systems in your homes or on your farms?  Some area farms and homes have been robbed over the past few months.  Our township formed a Watch system.  We have some great dogs and Old Betsy beside our bed that Hubbie or I can reach for real quick, however we are considering an alarm system.  Anyone have thoughts on them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes and no on security systems. Daughter and SIL installed one, since he works night shifts several times per month. They have some really rough dogs, and are armed to the teeth, too. They just added heat detectors on the second floor, since their soon- to- be nursery is there, and they sleep up there more now, too.

I frankly do not like alarm systems...so many false alarms have made law enforcement lackadaisical about responding. We discussed this subject a few months ago...Soilbabe needs to repeat what she told us to you...I had said we have no deputies available to respond most times anyway. Have waited up to two hours, with a farm five minutes from the sheriff's office.

If you are sure you will get a speedy response from law enforcement, an alarm is fine. If not , you need some good dogs and Old
Betsy anyway. Our kids have it more to warn them if someone slips in by an unwatched door or breaks in through a window. From there, it is several snarling canines and guns galore.

Here, we rely on the dogs to alert us, which they do well before anyone gets TO the door. I let them act as ugly as they feel inclined to do. Dogs read subtle signs humans reason away, which can communicate a lot of useful information, if you know how to judge body language and voice intonation.

We are " locked and loaded" here, too. I do not think I have ever known any country people who did not keep guns at the ready, have you?
Our final, and probably our most important line of defense here, is that people locally think of us as a little bit or perhaps more than that) crazy. Mike looks like a stereotypical badass biker...and has scary blue eyes. He literally drew down on two deer hunters who trespassed in pur path late one night when we first moved here...I think they thought the place was still empty...and told them they could look for their dogs in hell, because that was where they would be opening their eyes next.

We also spent two years prosecuting a teenager who had bothered a lot of girls, but truly stalked one of ours. Have runoff two of the worst hunt clubs in the county, with the courts and confrotations One of them included me stepping in between Mike and a man with a record for ADW, and saying, "No, hit ME instead...I would LOVE to take that in front of a judge!".

In other words, loco....

This economy has made for a lot of violations...of identity, of safety, of peace of mind in general. This week has been a reminder of
that in our family, with multiple counts of white collar crime alone. I think everyncrook in this county knows how weak our law enforcement presence is, and plans accordingly.

Factor such things into your decision. ADT is money thrown away here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

YIKES!!!!

Joy, I just realized that you said you are still receiving pre- approved credit card offers in your mail. Taxis is VERY bad, and a direct invitation for identity theft. All someone has to do is snitch one put od the mail on its way to you, and then they can en up credit in your name out the wazoo.

I think you can easily block all of these pre-approved offers by working with the credit reporting agencies. I did it when ww executed our credit freeze, I think. You can also contact your state's attorney genral's consumer protection division, to get help or instructions for doing this.

We used to get millions in these offers annually, but do not get one red cent in our names now. Once in a while, one will show up to one of the business entities, but I don't worry about that as much. If one got too involved in credit theft, I would take it defunct and reorganize, I suppose. Much easier to kill a corporation than a person, ya think?

Suggest you take this move immediately. Even have heard of these stolen put of the mailbox and activated...and most of us have mailboxes on the should rod a rural road, where someone reaching in and stealing mail would easily go unnoticed. In fact, you ought to get your free credit report, and make sure no one has already done something of this nature.

Experian, Equifax and Transunion are the three reporting agencies. I got contact info for Equifax directly from my bank, so I knew the phone number was valid. If you think your info is protected, you should have sat beside me yesterday, as I traced right to the door where my stolen card number was supposed to deliver that computer, and learned names, ages, and a lot more a out who lives in that home. All free online, for a few bucks, could have bought a lot more knowledge.
No privacy anymore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: YIKES!!!!

I was thinking the same as Kay, we have not had any credit card offers for a very long time. You just cannot be too careful today.

0 Kudos