cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: YIKES and more

Thank you Kay and Turkeyfeather!  I will check into this on Monday and have them stopped ASAP.

Getting back to the subject of Security Systems . . . We are interested in having the farm and our home 'wired' for surveillance via our cell phones and passives set up inside our home. We believe this is going to work great for our gang where we live.  One good thing is that our family is like a herd with us all living in very close proximity. Our homes all join each other across our fields.  It's great to have us all close by.  Typically we can see most activity at each others homes during the evening when it is dark and the lights are on, however our barns and buildings prevent us from seeing all that goes on around our home and around our buildings.  Having access through satellite via our cell phones will enable us to check in when we are gone.  This is a feature of home security systems that is very appealing to all of us.  It's a tax deduction and will lower the cost of our insurance.  We, like some of you live out, however our area is monitored via our state police and typically they can get here in a hurry when we need them.  They have been great with us. 

I do not know if my next question has been addressed in previous posts so bare with me on this next one.  Again a security issue . . . How many of you ladies have gun permits, have been trained in gun safety (formally or informally), shoot and  carry a personal weapon with you?

It has gotten so, around these parts of the country, that most of the rural ladies 'pack' at all times.  I have a Ruger 38 special which goes everywhere with me.  Jeff insists that I carry is while hiking, out on morning/evenings walks and while riding Miss Peggy.  The 38 has a laser grip and I like this feature especially for night time, however she has a pretty good kick.  A couple of weeks ago we went pistol shopping and we both really like a 22 for me.  It's light weight without a kick.  Some of the ladies here prefer Judges. 

It's funny that you mention that some people think we are crazy.  Twenty years ago I never dreamed I would need to carry a personal defense weapon.  Despite some personal defense training that I've acquired over the years it does add a little reassurance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Carry permits

Yes, all of us in this family have trained in a program required by our state to carry a concealed weapon. It is mostly a set of lessns on the employment of deadly force...when one may and may not engage that weapon tomportanec life and safety of self and others.

NC has subsequently passed a castle law, and some discussions in the legislature are been reported on in the press, extending that " no retreat" policy to other spaces, or even to your personal space, pretty much anywhere you go. I learned that use of deadly force requires a lot of ,entail/ emotional preparation. You should never pick up a weapon unless you intend to use it.

I owned and carried my own S&W ladies' special 38 long before I was licensed to do so. I spent a lot of time on the road,
much of it barren stretches, back then. I rarely carry now, and I cannot explain why. I just do not feel threatened, I guess.

This may have to do with the martial arts training I have received since getting the permit. We are taught to avoid situations where we might be at risk, and I tahink I worry more that my weapon might be turned on me. I would rather take my chances with gouging out someone's eyes or other wise disabling them than with being shot, i guess.

I have to declare my carry rIght and whether or not I am carrying at any traffic stop point. Our carry permits are tied to our DMV records. We have to put both hands on the steering wheel in full sight and state that we are " licensed to carry a concealed weapon,
but I am ( or am not) carrying today."

My gun is the one by our bed. Mike's are only a few feet away. Some of his handguns in particular would stop an elephant.

I would suggest that you dIscuss the 22 with a real shooter, perhaps someone in law enforcement, or a handgun trainer. I was advised that a 22 hasn't got much stopping power...that a larger caliber bullet is more effective against an attacker. Most ladies' specula weapons are built smaller, so as to fit in a purse or coat pocket. I tended to put mine in the door pocket on the driver's side of the car, in its open holster.

I have considered getting a tiny 22 as well, but I guess the orignal advice I got years ago still sticks in my mind. My daughter carries one in her bag all the time...which is something we will have to discuss before the grandson arrives.

Mike and I had this whole " Do you feel safe here?" discussion about a week ago. There was a lot of commotion in the neighborhood, due to one neighbor being served court papers, and a chase involving a guy who had tried to run over three deputies ( how HE found that many at once is a mystery to me) on a road that intersects with the one on the back of our place. It was all very unsettling.

I think the best way to protect yourself is to be mindful and alert. It is far easier to avoid trouble than it is to get out of it. Alarm systems canbuy you time and awareness. They just should not be let to make your feel secure in a situation like ours, where response time makes them worthless at gaining timely law enforcement assistance. For our purposes, some good " bad" dogs do easily as well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carry permits

Hey Kay!  I agree, dogs, and especially assertive ones, when it comes to being protective are our best friends.  I also hear you about self defense.  I believe that every woman should learn self defense.   The 22 S&W that I am about to purchase can be loaded with ammo that is similar to bird shot - no miss and definately down with major damage.  The owner of our local gun store was praising the 22 for women's use.  He did tell us that rumor had been  that a 22 wasn't real effective for stopping a would be attacker, however he stated, and pretty emphatically, "Tt's the gun for a woman, of course, in my humble opinion".   LOL  I'm replacing my Ruger. 

I, like your daughter, carry mine loaded in a zippered compartment in my purse. My purse is hung on a halltree in our bedroom, however when the kids are heading over it gets unloaded even though it's up higher than they could reach.   Oh, yes, your grandchild . . . Always a concern and worth the good discussion that you, I am sure, will have with your daughter.  Our grand children were taught very young about guns, not to mention knives, bows and all of the traps that are around this place.  They go out in the woods with us at a young age.  We have a five year olds that shoot and trap with their dads - of course very closely watched and supervised.  Difficult decisions for all of us, huh.  And, never far off from the 'concern list'.

Having guns here in our house are also a concern of mine.   Also, I REALLY hear you about having one turned on me.  Currently we have a gun cabinet, however last week we went looking for a standing house safe. I would NOT want to come home to my own gun pointing at me, and that's for sure. 

Being emotionally and physically prepared to use a gun as much as possible is part of the gun training/safety course.  Unfortunately there is not preparation that totally ever emotionally prepares an individual after firing on another human being.  Heaven knows we treat, psychologically, enough people for trauma after they've used a weapon on an assailant.  There is always trauma involved.  It does and will happen to each of us who finds it necessary to defend ourselves, and honestly the trauma is still there (albeit not as often) even when using other means of self defense.  Being prepared though is a good point of reference to go back on while working with those who suffer from the trauma.  It just seems that no matter how ya cut it there are consequences

Guns certaingly are personal opinion and choice.  I know not matter how big my concern is, though, I would never want to be told that I couldn't own or use one. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Carry permits

I have a gun and permit but don't keep it with me anymore. I do need the training you have mentioned.

These posts led me to think about the killings in Norway. Did you hear that no hand guns are allowed, not even the police carry guns. That is one reason the guy was able to kill so many kids. The other reason was so many security people were tied up at the scene of the bombing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Guard your identity

You may not be out of money for the computer, but your time could be better spent than cleaning up their mess. White collar crime doesn't get the same kind of prosecution and sentences that other crimes do. Given the money crunches on local budgets nationwide, no one is safe. As for the mail, I believe that there was a bill regulating the printing of SS and credit card numbers on receipts and government statements. Only the last 4 digits are used. However, the smartest criminals probably could figure out the rest. Computer hacking has surged, at least the public reporting has. One only has to wonder that if the FBI or CIA can't prevent them, how can we?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I guess I did the degree of tracking I chose to do because it irks me so much that thieves are so bold. I truly believe this information got taken at a local business, since both daughter and I got hacked within three days of each other. Maybe it was coincidental, but that the computer was being delivered less than two hours away was sort of too closemfor comfort, I suppose.

We had two sets of commotion with cops in the neighborhood last weekend, and then these two incidents of ID theft during the week, then I had a call I should not have gotten yesterday. All a bit jangling on these old nerves.

I told the Raleigh cop it was a good chance to get UPS to drop an Dell box and see what happens. Who knows if they will, or not?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Then again, if the thieves knew the house was going to be vacant, it could be picked up by anyone. I would try that Dell box sting to see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

PreciSely what I said to the arid detective. Then again, the card number thief probably already knows he didn't get a shipping confirmation email, so the transaction got tagged by Dell, and didn't go through. Guess they can't win them all....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the reminder...we just got back from vacation and I should check all my bank accounts and credit card accounts to make sure nothing looks funny. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Be especially careful about any charges at restaurants...this is a spot where a charge may be easily duplicated, and the cashier pockets the second tab in their pocket, or a different amount charged.  Credit and debit card fraud is off the charts right now, evidently.  We all need to be more vigilant.

0 Kudos