cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Guard your identity

This also brings to mind another question . . . do you all save your receipts when charging food, gas etc. when you've used your debit or credit card?  I typically haven't, but now I'm thinking that I should?  Ugh.  Not more paper to shuffle around

Maybe I'm just going to start paying for everything in cash!  Well, that opens up concerns about carrying cash in my wallet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

How much cash do you really need at any one time? Only when making large purchases do you really need a lot of it on person. We do keep our receipts. Checked one and the cashier added $5 cash to one purchase without giving me the bill. Wasn't very happy with that store and haven't gone there since. Sure makes one not talk to the cashier and concentrate on the transaction instead. Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I always get a receipt for everything. Makes me feel sure I paid for only what I intended to buy.

An example my daughter told me about was that once, her husband left behind the receipt when they ate out. They gave the server a good tip in cash, but when their statement showed a large one had been added to the tab as well, they had nothing to dispute that charge with, so basically had to let it go.

I tend to shove receipts either into my portfolio, if I am carrying it for the list inside, or into a zippered pouch on my purse. I remove receipts into a box on my kitchen desktop, then transfer them into gallon Ziploc bags when it is full. I date the bag with a marker,and drop it into the big file drawer in the office. If a question arises, I can go back through the bags by dates, and find any one of them I need.

Receipts are generally so small, you can fit several month's worth in one bag. I rarely have to look one up, but hardly ever remember needing one and not being able to find it. It's very good to have them for returns, so you get full refunds or credits, instead of a markdown or clearance price.

Mike brings in receipts from his parts runs and puts them at my place at the table. Gives me an idea what to expect on monthly statements.
Paying by cash is okay, except you might miss some deductions, and you have only the receipt to rely on then, so had really better keep them systematically. I use the credit card for almost everything, so there is strong buyer protection, which is a feature of my
card.
Of all the forms of payment, I find credit cards to have the most advantages for the way I like to keep up with things. Debit cards are not my cup of tea...have them, but use, them only for HSA and the regular one at one store every 3-6 months, to be sure it works in case of an emergency need for cash, or if the credit card has been trashed by a thief.
I carry varying amounts of cash...more now than I used to, when I taught school. With nowhere to secure a purse, I would only slip a couple of bucks into my skirt or pants pocket for lunch. I tend to have a wad of small bills for grabbing a grocery item or two, then bigger bills stashed in.a separate wallet or pouch.
0 Kudos