cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Gun threat puts county HS on lockdown today

Opened FB earlier this afternoon, to find the county hi school back in NC was put on lockdown today.  Threats of a gun on campus...none found, but the school stayed in this status, evidently the rest of the day.

This was the second incident since the Newtown, CT, shootngs, which were a month ago yesterday.     Right before Christmas,   A 16- year- old girl very close to our family and anoer girl had managed to take a photo of a very  threatening letter a boy the knew had showed them.  it was very specific asmto who he was gong to kill and how.  

One of the girls distracted him, and the other photographed the paper with her cell phone.  The incidnet was completely mishandled by the principal, later handled better by the superintendent, who suspended the boy, pending psychiatric certification that it is safe for him to return.  Ten days minimum.

I am wondering if the two incidents are related, involve the same kid, or what.  Guess we will find out more when the kids get loose and start talking.  

I remember my school law grad class...the main tenet of which was: Students cannot learn unless they feel safe in school.  I frankly do not see how this bunch has much of a chance of learnng anything under present conditions.  

Are any of the schools around you having this sort of an aftershock now?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Gun threat puts county HS on lockdown today

Yes there have been several incidents at schools here in Michigan.

The latest is a school hired an armed security guard.  Retired law officer I believe.  Anyway he left his weapon in one of the school bathrooms.  Just shows you how ludicrous the idea of weapons in our schools is.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well, I hope they relieved him of his duty.  I would say that is not the best example of security.  That doesn' t mean that having armed guards protecting schools is all together a bad idea.  

No real easy solution to this social sickness.  I think we have to default to keeping the kids safe, while we work out the underlyng causes.  If that takes military returning from war zones, cleared of any concerns for PTSD and trained for domestic security duties, then that is what it takes.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Our local school has yet to be in lockdown for a gun threat, but it has been evacutated more than once recently, because of a bomb threat.

Personally, I fear a bomb, more than a shooter, where I live.  Not that there are mad bombers, but we have zero gun murders on record, in my county, but more than one incident of someone making bombs, and I'm just going by the law of averages.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

2 or 3 years ago we had a couple of local kids actuallly make a bomb.  It seems to me like they were really young like middle school age.  Got directions off the internet and really did make the bomb. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Here it was some idiots, with a loony idea (romor has it they were going to use a bomb threat in a robbery attempt), that literally blew up on them.   I wish I could say I feel sorry for '3 fingers' and while I would never wish pain on anyone, i is hard to have too much sympathy for him.

0 Kudos