cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Guns

Don't mean to start a big pro/con gun message.  My question is with a concealed weapons permit, are you permitted to carry an open gun on your belt into a grocery store?  Saw it yesterday and i was suprised.  I was going out and he was coming in.  He had on kind of a racing logo shirt, so it wasn't a cop shirt....maybe an undercover cop???

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Guns

Depending on the state laws Yes he can wear his gun in visible site and NOT need a concealed permit because it is in visible site.  A concealed permit is for having a gun in your glove box, under your seat, in your purse etc.  As long as there are no signs posted about banning weapons on that property he was legal if he was following state law.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Here n NC, places where guns are not allowed generally have a huge sign at the entrances, saying " No weapons, concealed or otherwise, are permitted." This addresses guns, knives, etc.

We see it on all government buildings...i do not ho into schools, but figure that applies in them, too. I guess on any privately-owned property, it is up to the owner to post the sgns, or permit patrons to carry.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You seriously need to check the details of the state laws for each state.  There are a number of web sites with that info.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Put it this way.  If they are going to walk around with a weapon I would just as soon see it.  Then I know I'm seeing an idiot and I can stay the heck away from them.

I don't think anyone should be walking around with a weapon that I cannot know about.  If you have a gun on you, you are a danger to me and I deserve the right to know it.

I really truely believe guns do not belong in public except in law enforcement's hands.

Honored Advisor

You may live in a very safe environment, where you never feel it necessary to carry a weapon.  I don't, so I elected to be trained on both proper operation of a firearm and its legally sanctioned applications to protect my life and safety, as well as that of others. 

To think that the one deputy on duty in this huge county would make it to my house in time to fend off an intruder is a ridiculous hope.  Judging people who feel the need to secure the safety of their families is pretty harsh. 

I would rather be armed and not need to be, than need to be and not be armed...that  was the basis of my decision to earn a carry permit.   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I didn't say in your home.  I mean if I go to the grocery store or if I am walking around a mall I want to see who is armed so I can stay away from them.  An armed person in a public place is a hazard.  I don't want to be any where near some one who may or may not go off half cocked if something happens.  With people walking around armed if an incident should occur the danger would not only be from the criminal instigating the incident but from every idiot walking around waiting for something to happen so they can "defend themselves"

There already are several events in the news that would not have happened if the person had not been armed.  I'm thinking Zimmerman, and the guy who killed the kid over the music on the radio.  It is just a matter of time before something more happens and we will have dead people from cross fire from honest citizens who choose to arm themselves in public. 

Honored Advisor

You cite Zimmerman...I don't think the truth is known, or was accurately shown, on that one. He had injuries consistent with having been attacked, which was not revealed until after the media incited public rage. Time will tell....

I don't like to see guns, either, but for a different reason. It bothers me to think that society has deteriorated to the extent that people feel the need for them everywhere they go.

Until we took our permit training, I was oblivious to many risks in our environment. The instructor was in law enforcement or corrections, and he pointed out things I was unaware of...like the young guys wearing gang signs that hung out at the local mall. He gave us statistics on crime there, none of which seemed to make it to the news.

I stopped shopping there entirely. Now, with most stores there defunct for, the recession, the action has moved to the Walmart strip center parking lot. I know what to look for now, and do not go there alone.

There are statistics to show that an armed populace does deter crime. We never can truly know who decides not to pull a robbery because he is afraid he will get shot in the process.

Some of the cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest murder rates, for sure. I have heard a seasoned ER nurse relate the police jargon for such killings: misdemeanor homicide...meaning, no one will really investigate, not a high priority to solve, I suppose. It has gotten that bad in some places. That is in a moderate sized city/state capital,where we have to do some trips on business...we literally have no choice.

Like I said, if the state says citizens have a right to carry weapons, concealed or otherwise, the legislature made a decision on how it wants things to be. It is not crazy to want to protect yourself in some places in these times. Making the decision to carry a weapon does not make a person an idiot or a fruit loop.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Kay I don't think any place is truely safe anymore.  We need to be vigilant all the time.  I haven't had a gun advocate trying to scare the bejessus out of me though so maybe I am not as afraid as I should be.

As far as the Zimmerman/Martin thing.  The only thing to my mind that is a for sure is; If Zimmerman had not been armed, as he had been told not to be armed doing his patrols;  we would probably still have some sort of trial going on but it more than likely wouldn't be a murder trial.

As for the police jargon.  Isn't it a sad situation that in our country some lives have truely become "throw away" .  Too bad our government and citizens don't really want to address that situation.

Senior Advisor

Using one incident as an example of anything is not always the best thing to do.  It's easy to find a story of a grandmother who shot a robber in her house if that is the kind of example we want.  

The point Kay makes that is hard to refute is the one about the inadequacy of law enforcement to be everywhere and do everything.  It really boils down to the 2d Amendment.  When the Constitution was developed, the writers feared total State power and thus authorized an armed citizenry.  Now, some people would prefer that onlly the State have any weapons and think that means that all are safe (except from the State) .

You cite Japan or England, I cite Switzerland.  This can go on and on.

You believe something and none of us are going to change your mind and some of us believe something else and  you are not going to change our minds.   We can argue forever.