cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Guns

Except that no one that I have heard of is advocating taking all guns out of the hands of private citizens.  Never ever have heard anything of that kind except from gun advocates trying to stir controversy.

What is wrong about trying to take steps to know where the guns are.  Seems to me that would make it so much easier for law enforcement to keep them out of criminal hands then.

But wait that would  take responsible gun ownership.  Obviously that is not happening now or we would not be constantly having new stories of children accidentally shooting another person.

Are all gun advocates afraid to prove they are responsible people?  Afraid they don't have the capability of actually being a responsible gun owner?

We own guns.  But believe me they have never not for a millisecond been in a position where a child could accidentally have shot anyone.

Honored Advisor

Whoa, Nellie! Our guns are kept in a locked gunsafe...if Winn can get into it, he will have to explain the combination to me, after he has retrieved it from his PaPa's hiding place.

That issue is way off the target of this discussion. Irresponsibility that places children at risk is a far broader topic that involves much more than gun ownership. I think background checks, similar to the one we paid considerable money for in order to receive our carry permits, are a reasonable step.

The problem beyond that in many minds is the establishment of a national database of gun owners. Once built, that is one administrative decision away from release to the entire world. Do NOT say it cannot happen, because EPA just did it to all of us with CAFOs, even though they had no legal authority to even collect the information from states. The fact that this list wasn't supposed to even exist did not prevent that agency from releasing the names and addresses of all of us to God only knows who.

All we need is for every criminal to know what weapons we own and where we live, right? Oh, and BTW, my weapons instructor isn't a gun advocate trying to scare people. He is a responsible member of the law enforcement profssion, who informed us of risks that the merchants in that area did not want us to know about.

Maybe you have never known a woman who's been attacked by two thugs, trying to snatch her purse, in broad daylight outside a store. I do. My choice is to avoid problem areas, rather than to have to manage my gun all the time.

Still. I feel it is my right to own arms, and I have been trained to carry a concealed one if I deem it necessary. I hope it never is.

By this time tomorrow I should be wearing a third- degree black belt in Taekwondo, too. I have never hit or kicked a living soul outside of the do jhang; but, I know how to break a person's neck with my bare hands, among other lethal tactics. Do you think that should be illegal, too?
Advisor

What my experience working with offenders tells me is that criminals are armed to the teeth.  The "state" WILL NOT be able to protect us and our property if all heck breaks out.  Trust me on this....if the  food supply stops flowing due to any kind of government default or natural disaster there will be major civil unrest and the criminals will be armed and have no qualms about using firepower to get food.  They outnumber us.  

Every time some nut does a mass murder we want to take guns from law abiding citizens.  Why dont we do more to disarm the criminals and leave the rest of us alone?

From what I hear, ammunition is getting more and more scarce.  They cant take your guns so they have taken control of ammo.  Everyone is talking about that in our region.  Think about it.  

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I agree. I found a yellow newspaper article that predicated that very thing. Guns taken away from citizens and then all the rest goes down too.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This is not just a matter of the US economy, either. We are already seeing massive unrest in Eurpoe, in several nations. Ept is in shambles. It would be easier to say which African nations are NOT in civil war status, than naming those that are. North Korea, anyone?

Last night, we watched. Recording of a new show called VICE...it is an intiguing insight into world news on the scene. They visited some ghost coties in China, which have been built but are maybe 1-2 % populated.

The rush to build has resulted in an excess of millions of housing units, plus the entire public space to support them. Ten whole cities - some meant to replicate Paris and New York - have been ercted on confiscated farmland. They are nearly devoid of human inhabitants.

The reason this charade is played by the government there is that they count buildings built, not bought, into their GDP. With 1.3 billion people, they cannot find anyone to move into these sham cities...one had 30,000 in a development sized for a million. This is just one more sign of worldwide economic instability.

I wonder - more than I worry actively - what will really happen when the dominos begin to topple. As much as I think we are seing the facade of a recovery, it will indeed becugly when enough of the wrong element stop being served by our present entitlement state.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I think that LA wilnkle's: "Every time some nut does a mass murder we want to take guns from law abiding citizens. Why dont we do more to disarm the criminals and leave the rest of us alone? " is just not accurate. Where in the heck do background checks equate with gun registries or eliminating guns? Are you all as paranoid as that Sen. Grassley? Really.

I have LOTS of guns. all over the house. and i think the NRA is a pack of paranoid weirdos. so there.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm having a hard time with the posts that are getting Kudos.

I think this is a very important topic that is not getting the attention it needs.  Too many people waving their hands in the air going "your not gonna take my gun".  Causing panic and paranoia and keeping the real questions from being asked.

We are a violent (and rude) society.  That needs to be addressed.  Guns aside I think we probably have the highest murder rate in the world for a country that is not in the middle of an armed conflict on our soil.

Why do Americans react with violence to so many situations.  Why do Americans when they get angry or upset or feel frightened react with violence.  I believe we do that much more than other countries.

If global collapse happens I believe our citizenry will be faced with more gun based peril than any other country in the world.  And that's a problem.

We're suppose to be the greatest country in the world and we can't stop killing each other. 

Kay I never said you weren't responsible with your weapons.  But tell me do you think the family in Kentucky(?) that bought a child's gun for their 6 year old and then apparently didn't teach him you don't point a gun at a person, were responsible gun owners?  I don't want to be in public with people like that if they are carrying a concealed weapon.

Honored Advisor

I was not fully on the bandwagon over registry concerns, until this latest egregious behavior by the EPA.

When an agency can decide to overstep its legal authority, and create a database of all owners of hog farms, that is bad enough. When its head elects to release the list, with your name and address on it, to whoever asks for it, that causes me real concerns for the safety of our family and our farming business.

Any information held by a governmental entity is one stupid decision like that one from every person with access to a computer knowing what every one of your guns is, and where you live. That is the epitome' of TMI and governmental excess.

You can say what you want: Yesterday, we heard that the IRS was abusing its powers, in order to limit conservative organizations' contributions in the last election. It was also guilty of harassing conservative leaders. The attempt was made to lay blame off on the lower level workers there...until emails showed up proving otherwise. That has to bother you, even if your last name is Kennedy.

I think we should do background checks on people wanting to vote in federal elections...we would find out a good number are deceased, do not live in the precinct or several precincts where "they" are casting votes, etc. We are all being affected more by that than by gun violence.

The thing about owning a weapon, especially a gun, is that you have to hold the conviction that you could live with the consequences of having to use it. With home invasions on the rise here, I feel that as much as I would hate to carry the weight of the choice, it is the lesser of two burdens...how could I live with allowing someone to victimize my family, if protection is available?

Right now, states conduct the background checks, from my experience of permitting to carry concealed weapons. That should suffice. If the federal government collects state-controlled data, then you are right where we were with the EPA/ hog farm issue, and the barn door is wide open. If the database never exists, it cannot be arbitrarily released. That is why I am so concerned.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I never bought a toy gun for my own children, all of whom are in their thirties now. I did not want them to think a weapon was something to play with, just as candy cigarettes weren't on my shopping list.

I agree that ours is too violent a society. That is precisely why we maintain weapons in our homes, and established our permits to carry them where we see fit.

Please read the post I made below, about the EPA releasing my name and address to anti-animal ag groups, and the IRS hampering conservative groups and harassing their leaders. If you think this government is acting without prejudice, to curtail a lot of our constitutional rights, you are just wrong. There is an agenda afoot, and it is being discovered on several fronts at once.

Reacting with violence and rudeness may be somewhat linked. I address people as " ma'am" and " sir", which is a habit both of upbringing and martial arts training. When a young, thuggy -looking guy hears me say " sir", you can see his eyes change a little bit. I tend to get treated with respect in return.

That doesn't mean I think manners can work to prevent conflict in every circumstance; but, in most, if everyone respected others, the level of social interaction would be improved. I think people are just plain scared much of the time, and fear turns into anger, turns into violence.

Until we address the underlying fear, its causes and cures, we are on a long, hard road. Yes, some abuse the fear, incite it and thus escalate it. I think our president is at the top of the fearmonger list.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

DM, you are asking why are people so violent and angry. Of course the answers are many but just take a look at what is coming our Hollywood and what is being seen on TV and the internet!  Young people who grow up with daily are going to be shaped in some way by all this violence. Not everyone can just watch this as entertainment and not be affected.

Then look at the enter cities and the drugs, unemployment, generational entitlements and anger at the society that that they think has it all. We live in a rural area but it too has its violence.

What about the teacher who was explaining to her very young class that she works for her income. One young boy couldn't believe it, 'You have to work to buy food?" etc.

0 Kudos