cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

HOT, HOT, HOT!!

Like most of the rest of the country we are sweltering hot and it looks like we are going to be that way for the rest of the weekend, with a slight cool down then back up even higher temps and humidity by next weekend.  It is hot, hot, HOT!!

We returned late last night from Ed's annual week of work in PA.  It was miserably hot there then on to Central NY to visit my mom for a day.  Mom does not have AC, doesn't believe in it.....I guess I am spoiled because it was not a fun time at all.  From there on to Cleveland to visit three precious grands for an afternoon.  They have AC but it was still hot and the city traffic made it seem so much worse. 

Arrived home at 10:30 last night....of course we had turned off the AC when we left a week ago and the house felt like an oven.  It took an hour to cool our bedroom down to be able to sleep.  I have a bunch of laundry to do yet don't want to run the dryer.  I ventured out to the garden long enough to cut some fresh lettuce but that was it.  The weeds will have to wait for a drop in temp.  The grocery store was the best place to be today so I wandered slowly rather than my usual "get the heck out of here" pace.  Of course all that stuff had to be dragged in in the heat. 

We are eating light cool salads, fresh fruit and raw veggies to avoid the caloric burst of heat and energy that comes with protiens and carbs.  Limiting ourselves to iced tea and water.  Took Sable to the state park to swim in the lake tonight.  The ride home in a wet suit and widows down and air on high felt great!

I am not doing much more than reading, bookwork, filing, and catching up on phone calls and correspondence from last week.  Hope this breaks before I have to do something really strenuous!

How are you all coping with the heat?  What are you doing to stay cool in this heat wave? 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: HOT, HOT, HOT!!

Surviving pretty much like you are.  Sold hogs this past week and started an hour earlier than usual.   Go out every hour or 2 to check the hogs and water those down which don't have sprinklers.  

Went to town this evening for Subway and to get a belt for the feed mill.  When I got out of the car here at home.... MY GLASSES FOGGED UP!  

Closing my insulated curtains during the day when the sun is shining in. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We are located in Pennsylvania close to the Ohio state line.  It is sweltering here.  Jeff said at dinner time it was over 102.3 degrees with humidity around 90%.. He worked outside here at the farm today -had to grind feed and a bunch of other chores after the morning milking.  He did escape the heat while in the air conditioned truck for awhile when he was going to check to see which neighbor had straw to sell.  Honestly, Babe, I don't know how he was able to stand it.  I know that I wouldn't have.   This kind of heat literally drains me to the point of exhaustion.  Fortunately I was at work most of the day today, and lots of A/C literally pouring out streams of welcomed cold air from the duct work ALL day long.  Tonight as I was driving home from Pittsburgh (with the A/C on high and as low as she would go) we all were hit with a huge thunder storm.  Lots of wind, hail and pouring down hard rain (much much needed for the crops).  Could barely see out the windshield.  Cooled things off a bit, but still muggie.  The A/C in the house has run non stop now for four days.  Tonight we turned her down to the max, took long and very cool showers and just now heading for bed . . . Cotton linens and no blankie on this farmer's bed.  Stay cool all.  Nighty night

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

We in Hot Weather drink made as follows

Mix One tea spoon pure Vinger with Sugar and a little Mint flavour in a glass of Water

stir, cool and drink . You can also mix as per your taste

This is a remedy to avoid Sun Stroke 

B Shah

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Same here, crops are dying, and not sure even if a rain will help now. Our broilers did go to market but we lost so many and get more Monday. The temps here are 100 and we have a chance for rain this weekend, but I am not holding my breath. We also went to check on pivots last night, and yes one has quit. My DH is going to check on it this morning, that may be another expense we don't need now. I know DH has his ice chest with drinks and water in his truck. I have the grandchildren this week so I am inside, not helping on the farm much now. Everyone stay safe and I hope everyone gets rain, please pray that we get some also. I love farming but years like this make me question my retirement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It is the same here, 102 yesterday. Some crops on high sand are brown and crisp. We haven't had rain since mid to late June. Produce for farmers market are dying too. It is a very unusual year. I have heard a hot summer follows a cold winter. I just hope this is a new norm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The air temp here yesterday was 102.8 in the shade...real temp feel, according to Weather Channel on the Internet was 119.

We have a cold front coming, and decent chance (40%) for rain Monday, maybe more chances through Wednesday. Pastures look good, due to nearly four inches of rain a couple weeks ago, plus Mike's constant pumping and hauling from the lagoons.

Others, not so lucky, have been calling daughter for hay, or giving her their horses, since they cannot afford to feed them. She has
taken in three in the past week alone.

Our electric bills will about triple in this heat wave, but nothing we can do but pay them. The pigs will cost us a bit of extra diesel for pumping the lagoons, by playing in the waterers, too, but who has the heart to stop that?

Mike is bringing the dogs in to stay cool during the worst heat of the day, so I have four underfoot, and Riley in his office. AC runs
hard, but cannot keep everything much below eighty at these temps. He's got a buyer coming for a load of rams this afternoon. Thank goodness they are already penned up in a shady shed.

Our crowd comes back for Gatorade, G2 and bottled water from the garage refrigerator. No haying until at least August, to save the
crabgrass from the annual invasion of Armyworms. Maybe we will get a break by then, but next week the short spell of low nineties will be followed by more of this misery. Meanwhile, the horses and sheep are feeding themselves, as designed.

Please be mindful of the health risks from extreme heat...if you stop sweating, that is a real warning sign of ongoing harm. Stay safe...animal welfare is about all we can acccomplish here right now. Given these conditions, I think that is enough!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I've bought small bottles of G2  then freeze them.  Our favorite flavor is the lt. blue one.   Now I buy the G2 in bigger bottles and refill the smaller bottles.   I take a frozen bottle out with me while I work and is thaws out  and I have a cold drink the whole time. 

Favorite Hot weather dessert is Yogurt Pie.

3 small containers of  flavored Yogurt.

1 container of Cool Whip. 

1 graham cracker crust. 

combine  yogurt and cool whip.   Can add fresh fruit if desired or a little Jello for more flavor or color.    Pour into crust and freeze for 3-4 hours.      Very refreshing and if you use  low calorie yogurt and cool whip not too bad nutrition wise. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mike just asked for more small bottles of that blue G 2 when I go to Sam's this week. Must be good stuff.

That pie does sound sensible and cool to boot. I need tom try that one. Have been sitting out all desserts except fruit all of July. I think I could justify a slice of that one....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We have been in the heat wave for a week now.  We have had 6 inches of rain in the last 48 hours.  Our electrical bill will probably be sky high with central air running and window air upstairs, plus 2 fans and fans going outside in shop.  Feels like walking into a meat freezer when you go from outside to inside!  We did let the outside dog in quite abit this last week.  Dh even put a fan on my chickens.  I need to mow lawn, but the storms keep rolling through one after another.  I think I was up three times last night with differant rounds of storms.  My dog has started getting me up when it starts to storm.  I guess he just wants company.

0 Kudos