cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: HOT, HOT, HOT!!

We do really need some of that rain in S IN, but it looks like it will be in other places.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Try cooling house, office, employee's house, then running 72 fans wide open in a dozen hog houses. Not a pretty number on that bill!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We  have just had 1.7 inches of wonderful rain! Looks like we might get more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I sure hope after it finishes watering your crops that it keeps moving northeast.  We sure could use some rain here.  It clouded up and thundered an hour ago, sprinkled, dropped 12 degrees and NOTHING!  Sun and heat came right back. 

I couldn't ignore the garden any longer so spent three hours weeding out there off and on until I had to quit. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Radar is lit up all red and yellow like a Christmas tree for the third afternoon in a row, but it's been missing us. At least the wind is up, and that makes it feel a bit cooler. Our best chance of rain is a cold front, Monday into Tuesday.

Thundering to beat the band now, but those clouds to the south generally go right down the river and leave us high and dry....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It's been sooooo hot & HUMID!  Our cows dropped 1000#s in 2 days & then when you think they couldn't go lower, guess what- - !!  Thought about milking once a day but any good dairyman could tell you that's pretty much a no no.  Pretty disheartening when you're out there sweating up a storm.  I laugh when the news folks say to put your animals inside!!

If we could only get them cooler we would. 

We haven't gotten only about .4" of rain but it did make the morning cooler.  It's so spotty that a mile can make or break it.

Neighbor was gone & called the other day to see if it was raining.  DH said about 3"- - That's 3" between drops!!  But DS got a nice shower that same time & he's 5 M north of us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Forgot to mention my air conditioner nightmare.  We have replacement windows so this makes our openings smaller, limiting window units size.  Felt so guilty about our bedroom being cooled (My allergies were terrible-window fans bring in an abundance of polled) & DS not having air.  So I bought a larger one for the kitchen/dining room & planned on taking the existing one to his room.  Of course, the measurement on the box for the unit was a smidge off & it wouldn't fit. 

With the hot weather they were sold out of the one I needed so I trucked off another 40 M. to pick one up after calling first.

Got there & personally measured a unit which should have fit.  Of course the little lip at the back of the unit wouldn't fit, BUT we decided to just set it in to the front of the window & make do.  (hard to explain this)

Took the other one up to DS's room after we milked late (after 4-H fair) turned it on & blew all the fuses for the upstairs.

Turned off a few things, tried again, and blew them again.  After studying the situation, DH will now have another job of rewiring so we can make it work!  Like we need another job!  DS is sleeping on the floor of the air conditioned LR for now.

What I wouldn't do for central air!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Linda, whenever I think a situation " couldn't get any worse" , I think of some of the posts you have made - like that one - and thank my lucky stars for an uncomplicated life. You really need to write a book.

PS - Maybe it would be easier to get the kid a cot!
0 Kudos