cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Haylage done

Jump to solution

We usually do put up the 1st cutting of hay into bags & this year it was a no brainer.  With all the rain we've had (I've lost count of how much) the big issue was getting it cut & out of the field without totally rutting up the fields.

In one spot the hay was almost too dry but we had to get a 2nd tractor to pull the 1st one out that was slipping.  Crazy.  Neighbors want dry bales so they cut theirs but it's pouring this morning and last night too.  More rain coming on the way.  Think they have a problem.

Last year we were in a drought, which could still happen I suppose, but right now we could use some dry weather & sun.

Another interesting happening.  DH looked over his shoulder to see the old 706 with smoke coming out then flames & too near the fuel barrel.  Jumped off his tractor & ran over & found a bird nest on fire under the hood.  Could have been a disaster.  Thank God no casualties. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Haylage done

Jump to solution

More rain over night here too, there is still corn to plant and of course soybeans too and places to replant.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Glad the headache is over for you.  We have hay down now.  Same problems.  Will lose part of a new field that is getting too cut up, he'll disk it where rutted to badly so they can get through for the other cuttings (we hope).  Surely the weather is going to straighten out.  Hubby already figures with things being so late we'll be short on haylage.  Sure hope it isn't an early fall.

Rain in our forecast also.  I imagine they'll get it off some how and hope the leaching won't be too bad.

Bigger problem is corn isn't in the ground yet.  Ground not even worked.  We don't do any of this ourselves any more and the custom guys are so behind because of the weather.

DH is a total bear.  Beside the stupid crop problems he's still having fresh cow problems.  They get fed a straw based low energy diet and the last purchase of straw wasn't baled properly and they can't get it mixed well enough.  So the cows are sorting and not doing well at all.  Milk fever, potassium issues and more.  Have lost a couple, had to sell a couple more and it is just so much hassle doctoring every day and making sure the milkers are paying close enough attention.  We've had to develop a couple of new protocols in the parlor to help them with that.

Then to top it all off last weekend was one milkers weekend off.  He comes back to work Monday morning and decides that the night crew made a mistake.  They're both young kids and fairly new hires.  Anyway the older guy decides they put dump bands on an animal that didn't need them.  He thought she was a first calf heifer.  She wasn't.  Hubby tested tank and it was OK.  Most of the cows clear on their second milking anyway.  Took hubby till yesterday to cool off enough to talk to the employee himself.  I managed to calmly explain to him that when in question (which he shouldn't have been questioning in the first place) it is always better to dump than risk the entire tank.

Again on the stupid weather.  Hubby was so chilled last night when he got in from taking care of a down fresh cow he turned the furnace back on.  Really cool today and overcast.  At least a long sleeve shirt is needed.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Dang, hit the solution button!  It's realy cool here too and even tho it warmed up to 69 it still feels cool especially in the shade with a breeze.  Nights I still wear a long sleeve nightie. 

Our cows have been really dropping in milk lately and DH gets so disgusted.  Hate milking with him.  He goes along looking at the meters for each cow, "I can't believe she only milked such & such"  And we've also been getting several cases of mastitis due to all the wet weather.  That along with fresh cows has made our usually very low cell count skyrocket! 

We used to have a couple of good feed reps who could really give us some help when we had problems, but they are no longer with the company and we just feel like we're out here all alone.  Cow dealer called & the buyers are having trouble with money so guess we'll wait for another one to look. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

Hey ladies. I got some hay up today. still got a long way to go. corn to plant and beans too!  Feel your pain.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

Haylage is done  2 weeks now. Will not stop raining----corn and beans to plant also. 2 inches today and still have rain in the forecast. just about gets dry enough to get going again, any ground zone built, water just running down the rows. Any crops in WNY are sitting in saturated ground. Glad to see JR back posting

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
You girls have had a soggy start to the crop season this year for sure. Haylage is our go-to forage tactic with the girst cutting best protein grass in early spring, too. It does let you save feed in a much shorter sunshine window.

Your rains have been heavier than ours on the East Coast. We are looking at a forecast four inches today. I expect all of ourgrassed waterways to look like rivers this afternoon. Lots of flooding being reported west of here already. Tornado wach for spinoff from the center of circulation of Andrea. Crappy day...
0 Kudos