cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

Head is swimming!

I woke up about 4:30 Sunday morning because my shoulder was hurting alot.  I must have sat up too fast as I swear my brain did a 360!  whoa...I laid back down.  All day sunday, everytime I either went forward or backwards, my brain spun.  It did feel somewhat  better after I had spaghetti for supper...Thought the carbs would do me good.  But later, it got to spinnng again.  Today I just feel in a daze.  I did have to lay back down this morning and get back up slowy a bit later.  I will be getting an MRI on my shoulder on Wednesday morning and they will be giving be valium for the claustraphia that I expierence in those things.  But I am kinda worried that I will feel the same way with the valium.  What have any of you done to combat the swimming brain when it happens?  my DH says it menopause!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Head is swimming!

I really think you should call your physician...they may want to study your head, while you are already in the MRI. that is not a normal symptom of menopause. Mike and I had dizziness whenever we turned or rolled in bed to the right ( never moving to the left). Google that one...more common than you might think. We used Sudafed on doctor's orders, with limited success, since she suspected fluid in the Eustachian tube was the cause. I ordered some homeopathic remedy called " conium" and also used some phosphorus from the same source. Phosphorus had cured my vertigo when I was fifty, and it stayed gone for over seven years. Added conium this time, since it is especially recommended for the vertigo that comes with aging. When the horse therapist came to the farm a few weeks ago, I asked her for help and she gave me an exercise to he " unstick" the crystals from the cilia in tzhe inner ear. This girl is an experienced PT for humans, as well as equines. She gave me an exercise that takes maybe a minute a day at most. The combination of these efforts has about relieved our vertigo...maybe a brief second or so hits every week to ten days. It all together cost me about $20 for the two of us, plus $20 I paid the therapist for a whole body adjustment and her advice on the exercise.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Kay is correct, this is not menopause. I too suggest seeing the doctor before the mri.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Vertigo and dizziness are usually tied up in the vestibular system, whihc ties in with the inner ear...it is a fascinating system.  From my reading on our shared problem here at our house, it's not unusual to develop an issue with either as you age, but ours was specifically worst lying in bed, rolling to the right. 

That led to the very specific remedy of conium. Homeopathy has very specific symptomology, pointing to each remedy. 

While menopause is also a factor of aging, I have never seen anything that remotely relates it and vestibular problems together.   Tell your husband he cannot blame everything on the pause. 

Since this is a sensation tied in with balance, it can make you quite unsteady on your feet, prone to falls, etc.  It mostly made us nauseous...but, I worried that I'd fall getting out of bed, too. 

With an MRI already scheduled, I'd want to see if the doctor wants to kill two birds with one stone. 

0 Kudos
Lisa Prater
Senior Contributor

Yes, definitely see your doctor ASAP, and tell him you felt somewhat better after eating. Please be careful!

0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Also make certain that one of your vertebrae isn't out of place, especially in the neck area. The ligaments in the shoulder area could have pulled some of your neck bones out of alignment. May not be the whole solution, but wouldn't hurt to check either while in the tube. They do have open MRIs too, so you don't have to take valium beforehand.

Next time he tries to diagnose a medical problem, remind him he doesn't have a degree in that area.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

My doctor told me to try to sleep on both sides so the fluid would not build up in the right ear since I usually sleep on my right side.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The really sad thing is this: for women of a certain age, the medical establshment isn't any better than that...everything is blamed on menopause. A lot of serious conditions get ignored until it's too late to effectively address them
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I've also been troubled with "swimminess".  Especially over the weekend.  Had the migraine headache which Dr. thinks is triggered by allergies.  Trouble was I had the problem the last time-3 days of it-over the weekend.  By Mon. I was better.  Hate to go when I'm OK but I really need some preventative help.  Plan on hitting the chiro this week as I know my neck is out.

I was so unstable on my feet I thought it's a good thing I don't teach dance anymore, I'd fall flat on my butt doing turns.  LOL

BTW, it's not menopause!

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

went to the Chiro, he adjusted and said my muscles were pretty tight.  He also said the crystals in my ears may be out of place...was willing to send me to the PT to get that checked but I wasn't too wild about getting rocked back and forth to get the crystals back in place!  When I got up early this am, my head did the spin..not as bad as the other morning, but bad enough to lay back down.  I did get up the opposite direction later and very slowly...that seemed to help.  I do feel better than I did yesterday, but still not 100%.  Need a massage probably.  My DH will get his paybacks when he takes me to the MRI tommorrow!  Hope I don't puke on him! 

0 Kudos