cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Advisor

Heat and cold questions???

I've been reporting to Mike about the weather you have been reporting on here, and he is a weatehr junklie, so it's been interesting to him.  He was also the one who insisted onteh wood-fored boiler for ourheat, so we'd finally be comfortable in our leaky house.  He's asked me to ask a couple of questions, to put it all into context. 

If you will, please refresh my memoruy for me on where you are, how much snow you've gotten this weekend, what your daily high and low temps are like right now, and what kind of heat and supplemental heat your home requires to stay warm in this wintry blast. 

For example:  NE NC, rainy both days, 45/15, wood-fired water boiler central heat/Wood cookstove in un-ducted room. 

He is wrassling with an LP heater in a hog nursery today, so is not a happy camper.  Anything else you can provide us to talk about over supper besides that aggravation will be much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

Re: Heat and cold questions???

NW Iowa..central heat and air...electric heater in two rooms that don't get the air....right now it is 4 degrees with a small wind chill of about 0..   don't know how much snow we got due to it blowing so hard....have some 4 ft. drifts right now through out the farm.   This week is to bring many wind chills below 0...The sun is shining bright right now.  That is our weather for now/

S.

0 Kudos
lawinkle
Advisor

SW Ohio, 48 degrees yesterday, overcast, rain overnight, temp dropped like a rock....today snow, blustery, cold....26 degrees right now....going down to 15 tonight...about 3 inches of snow on ground

Electric baseboard, wood pellet stove, Vermont Castings woodburner, and BRAND NEW heat pump propane gas furnace.  FINALLY warm every room in house!!

0 Kudos
manureseller
Veteran Contributor

NE North Dakota here where it was a balmy -9 this morning.  We have a very old fuel oil boiler furnace that does a pretty good job of keeping the house heated.  We keep our thermostat at about 60 degrees during the day and then use a Eden Pure heater when we get home at night.

We do have an old wood burner in the kitchen but we haven't had the duct work checked or cleaned so it's more for decoration.  I believe next summer we are going to have it inspected to see if we can use that at all to supplement our heating bill some.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

BRRRR!  That may give my dear husband something to think about.  He's still, I think, trying to justify the cost of our wood boiler in his mind.  I am thrilled with it, since that money in the bank was not growing anyway.  We were chilly too much of the time, and paying too much for LP for no more comfortable than we were, too.  

He's decided that his woodcutting and handling is his "workout."  As long as he does not try to split any more gigantic oaks by hand, thus causing himself arthritis misery, I am fine with that. 

Do you mind if I ask what heating oil costs per gallon there? 

0 Kudos
josuzagr
Contributor

NE Iowa   We have hot water heat throughout the house fueled by LP.  Had a 2 hour delay with school start.  When I dropped the boys off at the school bus it was -11 F at 9:30 am.  We had about 10 inches of snow last weekend  and another 12 inches this past weekend.  Lots of wind blew it all around - nasty drifts.   We may get up to 0 F today. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

It was -5 this morning and it got up to +4 today.  Whooee!  Finally got the beautiful blue sky some wrote about yesterday.  We have baseboard hot water heat and window air conditioners.

Keep it at about 68 degrees.  Our house is a big old drafty gal and we just put in the gas fireplace in the LR because that room has too many windows but I hate to take the old bay window out.  Character, I say.  Drafty heat loss, DH says.  He's right I know.  We have a natural gas pipeline N. of us so that's what we have in the house.  Barn has propane.  $$  We got 8 1/2" last week & it blew too much here - 45 MPH top - to measure.  4' drifts in lots of places.  I remember when we moved here from town in '83 how it was such a thrill to see nature's power.

Now I'd like to watch it on the news from somewhere warm & sunny.  LOL 

0 Kudos
ABCD Farmer
Veteran Contributor

WC WI.  big 4 sq. old farm house.  Luckily, previous owners insulated the walls when they resided and we blew in insulation in the attic.  For an old house with old windows, we are toasty warm at 76 degrees.  We have hot water heat with the old style radiators.  I hated the looks of them when we bought the house, but I wouldn't trade them for the world now.  I love my hot water heat.  We have an LP boiler we use until Thanksgiving and then we heat with corn.  Obviously, we put the corn boiler in when corn was under $2 per bu.  It paid for itself easily at that time.  We still burn corn even at this high price.  If we kept the house this warm on LP it would cost more than the corn.  We also have a wood fireplace, but we do not use it since we installed the corn stove.   In addition to the house, we heat the shop with an LP furnace and the 2 milk houses with electric.  Hopefully, we will have some good capital credits from the coops when we retire!! LOL

It was a balmy -10 this am after 18 inches of snow over the weekend and another 10 in. last weekend.  No school in the area due to roads still at one lane and cold temps.  Today's kids can't take the cold temps!! LOL  Really, the diesel buses just aren't worth the hassle when it is so cold.  Back in the "olden days" (as my kids would say) we had school on days like today.  DH has been gone all day trying to plow out the loading areas for our neighbor who is shipping out his 5,000 head of beef.  I think tomorrow or Thursday is the last day for semis to haul out.  He has been shipping about 14 trucks twice a week for the last 3 weeks so I am sure he will be glad to get these last ones shipped out.  Tonight it is supposed to get down to -10 again.  I have an 8 am ortho appt for my son in the morning so it is going to be a very early morning tomorrow.  I hope everything starts for me.

0 Kudos