cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Heavy things

Making plans for the guys to unload my heavy workbench cabinet up into the garage, out of my pickup bed, is a sort of puzzle. We need to stash it in the store's garage until the kitchen job this fall. It weighs too much to lift, and is thus going to require the skid steer, or my tiny tractor and front end loader. I am thinking skid steer will be better, since the forks slide under and out with pallets, and we have plenty of them to use.

My chore this morning is tomfi ish cleaning out the big oak cabinet in the hallway. It was brought here from our home in VA...so has always looked too new form this place. It was built for the kids to,use for jackets and book bags when they were in school. ita is seven feet tall, and five feet wide. Oak, so HEAVY!

Will have to lay it sideways tso pass through doors, and will need to protect it from scarring as it is carried out. Wish imcould borrow ormrenta some padded furniture dollies to move it. We will probably move it along on old quilts spreading them, then sliding it, until it is outside the house.

Then secondhand shop girl had a truly cool china hitch for $150. Looks walnut to me, witan a deco curve to the top, glass doors and lighted shelves, and four caned doors over the bottom cabinets and two hidde drawers. It has hand- hammered hardware, sort of arts and crafts looking,

I think this will be great to display some of my pretztier baskets and things like candlesticks. These have been hidden behind the
doors of that oak cabinet. I can forget to use them...out of sight, out of mind.

Moving this one in will be about as big a problem as moving the other one out. The girl said it took four men to get it into her shop. last time we had something this ponderous to lve was the setup of the wood cookstove. SIL brought over three guys from his work to get that into place. I may have to bribe them with a tray of hot wings from HOOTERS. Worth every cent.

With only one hired man, our very strong daughter getting pretty big with her pregnancy and restricted to lifting 25 pounds now , and
Mike and me both getting somewhat decrepit, I find that moving heavy things is more of a challenge. When son comes down to build or fix buildings, that adds one. One of his helpers is too slight to lift much, the other can lift, but I have tom pay for him a whole day when he comes, so there has to be plenty for him to do to justify that.

We can move mountains with the CAT, but you can't move a nice piece of furniture with a track loader. Appliance deliveries are mostly free or rebated now, so that is not a problem anymore. We move hundreds of big bales with spears and lifts, and thousands by stack liner; but getting things moved in and of the house is getting to be something of a production.

After this china hutch and the work cabinet are brought in, things will be pretty set in place for the duration, I suppose. Made me wonder...when you have heavy things to move in the house, who joins your moving crew?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Heavy things

I guess I am lucky, that is what my son-in-laws do when heavy things need to be moved.Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Heavy things

Guess I should have had more girls, then! The one SIL is really great about getting a crew of his buddies together in ainch. Son is 75 miles away, so it is a trip for him to get here, just to move stuff...although, I do use his and his hefty helper's muslce when they are around.

Our daughter is as good as most men at lifting, but her OB has told her to slack off on it, until after the baby.
0 Kudos