cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Heeler doin his job...

I don't know if any of you would have any idea's on this or not...If I was home, I would take the dog to the vet.  But that is up to my husband today.  Anyway, my guys were out trying to get a fat heifer in a chute a week or so ago.  She wouldn't go in, so they sent our heeler dog into the barn to chase her...mind you, Sam doesn't do alot of herding, only when we sort cattle and are having trouble, otherwise, we keep him out.  He got kicked by the hiefer.  I didn't know it until last night when we were looking at our dog and he has a big swelling on his back.  It is soft, but probably 1 to 1 1/2 inches higher than the rest of his back and probably 8 inches around.  He is a little touchy on one side of it.  Sam hates the vets office.  The vet would have to come out to the truck to give him a sleeping shot before he would even be able to be taken in the vet office.  Sam is my DH's best buddy and sure hope it isn't something too serious.  Sam is already getting the white hair around his mussle that shows his age. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Heeler doin his job...

It is probably a hematoma...bleeding under the skin for the hoof that hit him. The only way to know for sure is to call the vet who normally treats him, and take the professional recommendation. It has been a week, and you may be told to just keep him calm and cool, considering the need for sedation. Again, the bet who knows him needs to make the recommendation.

Honestly, if i found that kind of a closed injury and it was that swollen and tender a week later, I would want my dog seen by his
doc. We probably spend way too much on dogs, but I try to follow the Golden Rule with them, just as I would for a human who is hurt or sick. They cannot tell you in words....

Our vet's office just called about the BC Riley, and his gzrooming appointment tomorrow morning. This will be a first for him...daughter called and arranged the appointment, with one of hers that goes in monthly. I changed the order from " shaved" to " clipped short, but hair left to protect this mostly white dog from sunburn". The groomer agreed, and said it was considerate and smart to speak up for the difference. Again, just doing for him what I would want done for me, if I were a nutty little dog.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

DH called the vet.  Was told to stick a needle in it and see what came out.  We used a vet needed and it didn't phase him too much.  got water/watery blood,  so I am figurin it is fluid.  If he doesn't take him to the vet to have it drained, I may do it on Saturday. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

What I expected, but good to relieve some pressure, and to know it's not pus. The fluid will probably re- absorb on its own. He took one heck of a kick!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like quite a blow Ruby!  Poor fella.  Those heifers can really lay one on ya.  Jeff got a side kick in the mouth a couple of weeks ago that knocked him back against the wall and his brother was kicked in the chest just yesterday.  No broken teeth or ribs, but wow wee they can pack a wallop.  We have a Heeler also.  They are  wonderful breed to have around the cattle.  Please keep us informed on his progress  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

VWe took Sam to the vet Saturday morning.  Vet drew off 3 large syringes full of fluid. He gave us some antibiotic to give him and said if it filled back up again to bring him back in.  Antibiotic was because he had stuck the needle in and didn't want to get infection started.  Sam still rolls on his back with 4 feet in the air! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Glad to know he's doing better...should be more comfortable with the pressure off from all that fluid drawn out.

Heelers do LOVE to wallow that way, don't they?
0 Kudos