cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Hello

Jump to solution
Sorry about that! Didn't say anyone needs her, but if she is that miserable at work, imagine her home life. People tend to be on their best behavior in the workplace.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

There is also the factor of taking jobs that other people really need.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution
Right on both counts. She lives alone, has been divorced since forever. Her two "boys" live in Los Angeles. She has grandchildren in Cali and sees them once a yr. You tell me why she wants to die alone in WI.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Where we live, in very poor rural NC, I have always felt that way, earning what we do. I couldn't really turn my back on thispkace well, either...anytime I tried to teach or learn something new, there came up some emergency that required my peculiar brand of expertise. That means I have a mind for trivial and arcane issues. Not much market for it, but it has been golden for us.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution
I can see retiring in NC on a farm, but this person lives in an apartment. She was born in IA and has no one here.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution
"She..... has no one here."

That's probably why she still works. Her co workers are her connection to people, especially with kids and grands so far away.

Hard to tell if she doesn't go to be with family because she doesn't want to or if they Dont want her to. Either way it's sad.

I know it's a difficult situation working with someone like her but maybe she just needs compassion.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution
We try. I don't think she knows she's cantankerous. I really don't. But she gets away with murder as far as not doing the mandatory stuff that the rest of us have to do. Boss is afraid of her. She takes off a lot of sick time and leaves people sit with her work, I mean for weeks at a time.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
We cannot measure somebody else's idea of home and comfort by our personal ruler. It takes all types to make aworld.
My hobby is gardening, but it is sheer torture for many people...the dirt, the bugs, sweating in the sun.
I have a friend whose husband adores Manhattan...it is exciting to visit, but I couldn't ever see myself living there, could you?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution
I think work is her idea of living. I think it's just pretty sad that work (not self-employment) is how a person would want to live their final healthy days. Full-time. At least go part-time. She is the oldest of nearly 7,000 employees.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Dthe husband of tat RN friend of mine is a great example of why: His mind is wasting away with not enough to do. Mike gets him over to help with some stuff, for his entertainment. He isn't at all mechanically -inclined, so things like putting up temporary fencing, or repairing the main perimeters helps get him out and about.

I think this happens with men more than women...their retirement is difficult, because they define themselves by their jobs more than we do. If she is unfriendly, who does she have to hang out with, except at work?
0 Kudos