cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Help! Quick meal ideas needed!

I was reprimanded yesterday when I got home from work!  "You went the store and all you brought home was funfetti cake mix and frosting! ..theres nothing in the fridge"!  Oh, well, I told him that he could go shopping.  I guess my idea would be to throw some ham and cheese sandwiches on a bun wrapped in foil in the crock pot so that when you all get home, that they would be warmed up and ready to eat.  You could also have some maidrite meat made up ahead of time so that you could drop a bag of it in the crock pot before you leave and have it warmed up by the time you get home for quick sandwiches.  We probably don't eat real healthy at my house, so sorry, I don't have real healthy meals to offer ya!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We have a inside source for what I think is country ham. It's not smokey or salty, but the flavor is better than Hormel Cure81. That's the top brand in our area. Whenever we get a hog butchered this time of year, we get one ham made into deli-sliced ham packed in 1# cryopackages. The meat stays good in the freezer for a long time. We eat a lot of it in warm weather so the packages don't stay long in the frig at this place..

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It could be worse...Mike is very particular about what he eats.  He weighs himself morning and night, and records it on the calendar over the scales.  It is like living with a 16-year-old anorexic girl. 

I am glad he cooks, or it would drive me nuts.  We make a list together whenever I am headed away, and I have to be sure everything's the right brand, or may as well throw it away in a ditch on the way home. 

Some of his combinations are fine, and some very strange.  What he cooks tastes very good, but he could live for days and weeks on end without a fruit or vegetable, whereas I crave them both. 

Sometimes, I wonder how other people eat...here, it's kind of a grazing event. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, that's pretty much the way I eat also, grazing. DH is more on a schedule of certain times. He can miss a meal with no side effects. I eat a little about four times per day to keep my blood sugar even.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

What's bugging me right now is not being up to doing my normal TKD training.  Still fighting sinus problems.  I go once or twice, then start coughing too bad (from drainage) to make it for a week. 

That throws off my normal intake patterns.  "Off" usually means I eat more than usual.  I am struggling with that desire almost every day. 

As long as I stay busy and out of the house, that isn't at all hard, like with cleaning out the poolshed yesterday.  On rainy days, messy and damp weather like today, I cannot make myself want to get out and away from the temptation.

I need to get back on the training program every afternoon at five-thirty, and  have supper at seven.  That way, I eat breakfast at about nine, lunch around one and a smoothie at about four. 

If I try to skip the smoothie, I start to starve, and will eat everything I can lay my hands on.    Mike gets very grouchy if he eats off his routine.  I joke with him about the old people eating the early bird special, but I see now why they do!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Being more proactive with the meals this week! Yesterday Jayson smoked a big pork roast and grilled a bunch of burgers, brats and chicken. I have plans for the leftovers: brats sliced up in jumbalaya (bought the boxed Zatarain's to make it quick & easy), chicken turned into a cheesy rice/broccoli casserole, big salads, sandwiches, and quesadillas. We'll see how it goes!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sounds like a plan!  Having the meats pre-cooked is a big bonus for time. 

I've not tried Zatarain's...let me know how you like it.  My favorite jambalaya sauce is being discontinued at Harris Teeter, so I need a new brand. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The Zatarain's is good ... now, keep in mind I have lived my entire life in Iowa and South Dakota, so I may not be the world's best judge of jumbalaya, LOL. I used a family-sized box and sliced up 3 cajun bratwurst Jayson had grilled on Sunday. We topped it with a little shredded cheese and some hot sauce, and it was good! The kids ate it up, too. With a little salad, that made a good, quick meal. About 30 minutes, but since Jayson took Jake to practice, I fixed it just before they got home so it was ready to eat. Plus, we figured that we fed our entire family of 5 (plus enough leftovers for Jayson's lunch today) for about $5. You can't beat that!

0 Kudos
crazeknot1
Friend

With grilling season underway & your husband grills allot of different meats? There's quick recipes site & lo-cal recipes. When I had a busy family life, I would use my slow cooker allot. www.slowercooker.com has quick & easy recipes. Salad & soup w/ 1/2 sandwiche is quick & fast. I remember when I had to be somewhere w/ the girls we had 15 mins to eat & be on our way. We ate left overs & I would corporate something new to it . Then it wasn't just a left over. Enchiliadas w/ fried egg, Tacos would turn into a big burittio using a large torillia & split it in half for them.

0 Kudos