cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Here's a pic of our tree

For 16 byears now we have cut down our own tree.  It is one of our family traditions.  I thought I would post it here. Besides it is cold outside and the kids are off at the church for practise for tomorrow. My son is playing the guitar in it tomorrow.

IM000991.JPG

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Here's a pic of our tree

Good tradition.

We also have cut our own trees for probably just short of 40 years now.

Used to take out a tree that needed thining and had a good enough top for a tree. Was a walk to the woodlot and drag the tree back.

About the time the kids got old enough to help drag we started driving  to the woodlot.

Some years ago we established our own tree plantation on a corner of rough land and I even try to prune them each year.

Now beginning to seem like a business as the kids each come home with their children in tow and grandpa helps them cut a tree.

You look as cold as I sometimes feel getting that tree. Guess that is what 'sets' the memory in your bones.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jr I am sure you  know those of us who cut our own is not normal but our son just sent me this link to a story about the Christmas Tree and how it evolved.

It says 28 million Americans bought a tree last year and I bet most of them did not even have to cut them down.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40721258/ns/technology_and_science-science/from/toolbar

0 Kudos
Advisor

We don't have a real tree any more

Not since the time we took the real tree in the house and all the little bitty spiders warmed up and started moving.  Millions of spiders...if you think that is an exaggeration just ask my wife. Millions.  Maybe Billions.

That was also how we determined she was allergic to pine trees.  When it left the house her winter cold went away.  When we visited homes with real trees it came back.  So we unbox our tree every year and recycle it back into the closet after Christmas.  But no spiders!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Very nice! I was actually thinking about posting a picture of our tree on here since I had a time trying to decorate it.  It really turned out very nice.  Maybe tonight I can get it posted on here.  I was actually spoiled for a couple of years not having to water a tree (artificial).  the family wanted a real tree this year and it is exactley the kind I like.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Ruby I was going to post a pic of our tree all decorated but then after 2 Weeks of being up and looking beutiful it fell over before I had gotten a pic.  Now my wife says if I post a pic there will be no....uhhm "Marital benefits for me!" SO I am not postiing a pic of the tree all decorated! LOL JR

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That is what usually happens to me with a real tree...it falls over...and the husband gets no marital benefits!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

100_2296.JPG

0 Kudos
Advisor

So, what is it with Blue Heeler sand Christmas trees, anyway?  Mine have always seemed to think they need to keep guard over it. 

Pretty tree...gorgeous dog!

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: We don't have a real tree any more

Wood heating when we started burning a Buck Stove in maybe 1975, made it too dry to safely use a cut tree.  I wresteld one of those with the root ball for a couple of years, and one of them is still growign in our son's yard at that house back in VA.  Gave it up when I decided that I did not want to get a hernia for Christmas.

I've been looking for a decent-looking aritficial tree to put on a particular tabletop in our family room.  Needed to be 4.5 feet, not four, not five.   Finally found it - and on clearance at that - at Target yesterday in Rocky Mount.  I plan to stay home and decorate tomorrow.  That and my little crate of ceramic Mitford snowmen will have to do, along with a few candel warmers that I plan to keep up after Christmas.  I usually leave the snowmen up until about Valentine's...

We are hearing a forecast for Christmas Day snow/sleet/freezing rain here in NC and VA.  Hoping the kids can get here for late breakfast, and then back home in time to miss the mess, but doubt we'll get back up there for Mike's sister's gathering at two.  I am trying not to focus on it, but I hate to think we will be apart if the system moves in sooner. 

0 Kudos