cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Here we go again

As I mentioned before here, our farm is old, real old.  The house has to be over 100.  We just worked on our fourth or fifth water line break this morning.  The last 3 have been in my flower beds-they rerouted the last one there so I'll not have that issue again.  The plumber joked that he couldn't fix this one as it wasn't in a flower bed.  LOL

The worst of it is that we have stupidly built over some lines.  Not with a building but for instance the deck off the house is over a line and flower beds.  Cross my fingers on that one.  Didn't know there was a tile in the break this morning which made things go longer than expected.  Those old copper lines don't last forever.  DH wants to put pavers down in a rough spot in front of the house but I don't know if there is a line there or not. 

Anyone else have any experiences?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Here we go again

Friends just had a similar leaks. It was under the concrete porch. They rerouted it away from the house. Out of water almost a week.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That sounds like us..  Things just don't last forever..  ie 100 years or whatever!     Everytime we start a home improvement project, we run into more obstacles due to the house being so old.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This house is roughly 120 years old, by our best estimate, and Jenna's house was built in 1937-38, so iappriaching 80. I would take either one of them over any modern home we deal with maintaining. At least these were well-built to start with, and the materials were natural.

Underground water and lines like electricity and telephone do limit some of my ideas...always have wanted a carport right off the side (pantry hallway/ kitchen) entrance. Scared to sink holes for posts, don't think anything not in the ground a good bit will stand up toour wind loads, which are 120 mph standards. I will just have to lice with rain diwn my neck dragging in groceries, I guess!

Sometimes, the simplest and least expensive alternative is to give up patching things up, anf just put in a whole new service line. We were at least fortunate in this house that there was ZERO plumbing, and only one electric line...so old, the insulation was made of mica. When your only choice is start-from-scratch, you at least know it's safe.

Good luck with the water lines. We have over a mile of stuff buried for the hog farm, so I feel your pain!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Got the line fixed and filled back in with dirt.  Will be a mud hole which we have to walk over daily so maybe some old planks will be resurrected.  Some day I would like to do some history on this old place. 

Yes, I would like to have had an attached garage.  My folks have their home set up that way.  So nice to carry groceries in without having to fight the snow, ice and rain.  But no way with our set up.  So goes the story.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jenna's house has an in-ground single car garage, under the master bedroom. It could be a deathtrap, if someone started a car and left it running in there.

As long as you grasp that risk, that house is set up as my dream arrangement...now with the sunroom enclosing the back porch entry, basement door, and garage walk-in all under a roof with lots of light from all the windows.

Here, we have so many entrances, and none have nice sidewalks or overhangs. I did create some short gutters with rain chains last
year, just out of being tired of rain down my neck in every direction. They look s bit funky, but on this house (you have seen pictures of what we started with here) that is par for the course.

I think I have roses coming this way this week!
0 Kudos
Advisor

Just a suggestion, but maybe after 4 or 5 it might be time to just run a new line to your house???Check out companies that use boring machines. they do very little or no surface damage and can hit a spot in your basement wall within an inch. really cuts down on the yard destruction. Last year my REC ran a power line 1200' with a boring machine company doing the work. good luck

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

How does this service compare with just opening a trench?  $$ per linear foot price?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

With the new bin, they just trenched in the electricity across the barn yard yesterday.  Last night we got alot of rain, so I am sure it is a mud hole now!  Went to basement a couple times during the night to see if water was coming in.  Picked up the rug this morning so it didn't get wet if the Dh forgets to check the basement today.  Although if we do get water in, the loveseat that is downthere will get wet if he doesn't get it up on paint cans!  When in-laws lived there, they put 3/4 inch flat rocks around a fireplace area.  The thing is that there is also a drain in that area...hmmm, wonder why there is no place for the water to go when it comes in the walls!  Told DH this morning that he needs to pull up some of those rocks so the water can drain. A year or two ago they graded the yard so hopefully we wouldnt have this problem...  well something didn't work, but I would get my behind chewed big time if I looked behind the paneling in the basement to see where the water was coming in at!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We have lived here since 1983 and as semi retired folks, there is no was I'd want to start fresh for all the lines here.  There are 7 automatic waterers at least and I never counted the hydrants.  Yes, the lines are ridiculous; some circling I believe.  But for the amount of lines and the age I think we'll gamble.  DH & I were discussing the layout of the lines this morning & I told him he needed to draw a diagram to have with all the legal info just in case.  Also the location of anything else I might forget about or for anyone else such as the septic (2) & drainage tiles.

Many years ago my FIL was digging in the back yard for a drainage tile I believe and had a devil of a time chopping the root of the tree he came upon.  That night my phone in the milking parlor wouldn't work-dead.  Yup, he chopped it in two.  LOL

0 Kudos