cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Here we go again

When we moved here many years ago, the elderly lady showed us a drawer full of drawings and diagrams showing where all the lines.. water, phone, electric, underground sprinkler, gas.. were.    The problem was that some of the reference points were trees that had died, etc.    Her dad had started this plan drawing when they first started putting lines in..  then she and her husband kept it up.   its some help but not fool proof

0 Kudos
Advisor

I really have no idea of the price comparison, but would use it for the convenience factor. the diference must not be excessive, because it is widely used. works really well if you need to run a line under a driveway, sidewalk, patio, deck, or flowerbeds.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That was what I was saying to Mike, after I posted the question to you...it cannot cost but so much and still be widely used. It could be really useful on our hog farm, with its miles of buried water lines, electric and alarm conduits, waste piping, and LP. We have our own trenching equipment and small backhoe, but there are spots where I would hate to sink the teeth of either one into the ground.

I just really wish I could get everything marked by my side entrance, so we could put in four posts and pour enough slab for a single carport. It is ridiculous to either have to tote every grocery sack in from that spot in the rain, or park in comfort out at the shed, and slog it in from there.

Things like this get more important, the older we get.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It's so easy to forget a line... Say, a gas line that went to the old furnace, when you have switched to electric...but the clothes dryer still relies on the LP! We have strange wiring underground at the NC place, because there is a second electric service, which covers the garage and my office. Swimming pool came off the house originally, but we switched it to that one dues to an short we simply couldn't find a few years ago, while a trench was open for running the Thermopex for the wood-fired heat exchanger.

Getting that T- PEX into our house to the furnace ductwork and blower was no easy trick...no crawlspace or overhead because of second story, which was originally not even there. Long story. Anyway, I came up with running it up to the level of the first-floor ceiling, and we cased it in with wood to blend in with the siding. It is in kind of a blind corner where the screened porch joins the house, behind a couple of trees. No one has ever mentioned it, so it must not stick out like a sore thumb.

It can be a real challenge figuring things out. When we started working on Jenna's house, I hired electricians to wire some ceiling lights in the front room, which was an old living room. We turned it into a dining room, so wanted lighting over the table...the fish tape it took to get through some of the old beams for switches and some outlets was impressively long.

Putting in the new HVAC mini split last year took some head-scratching, and the sacrifice of part of one flowerbed. Not a big price to pay for the convenience and comfort gained. Our next challenge is deciding whether to install a backup genset, and where to set the fuel tank if we do.

You calculate cost of the heavy supply wire to reach the panel box, and have to balance that against the permanent landscaping we have placed there. To be honest, i would much rather just hook up an inverter to my pickuo truck there, and let it idle, running the water pump, circulators for the boiler, and a couple more breakers for the refrigerator and a few lights. The house was not on the grid when it was built, and takes very little electricity to run it today.

0 Kudos