cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaseylb4
Friend

Hi All!

Hello! I am new to the site. I've been looking at different sites and resources... to learn and connect. I would say I'm still learning to love the rural life. I grew up in the city, my husband grew up on 30 acres and we now live in Indiana on 20. It has been a mind-opening adjustment, I will say that! We have chickens and a couple large gardens but that is it as far as farming and livestock. I just thought I might get a feel for how this group/site is!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: Hi All!

.Welcome!  I live in IL & we retired from dairy farming 2 yrs ago this July.  Although I still miss it, we are enjoying our grandchildren and their activities which we had diffulty attending before.  We now have beef cows & some bucket calves along with a small flock of sheep, chickens, the grandkids goats & a new rambuctous Australian shepherd pup.  It's been kind of quiet here of late with the planting & now baling hay.  You might also check out Facebook Women in Ag.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Welcome!  We are a pretty mellow bunch, most of the time. 

Linda's right...it's been kind of slow lately, with everyone trying to plant, hay, etc. 

We raise nursery pigs to feeder size for Smithfield, about 80,000 head a year, here in North Carolina.  That means we also hay a good bit here, on the land app acres. 

Last year, we started a small cow-calf operation, which spreads over to one of the farms we own in Virginia.  We hay there, too. 

I am trying to get back into gardening, rather late in life.  May need some pointers from you!

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Another Meredith site, Living The Country Life, focuses on people who live on an acreage.  It's free.

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/

0 Kudos
kaseylb4
Friend

Thank you! I'll take a look at it!

0 Kudos
kaseylb4
Friend

Wow, very cool with the pigs and cows! Well, I am no expert in the gardening area haha, my husband has been teaching me what he can... I'm trying to keep up. I'm a teacher so now that I am on summer break a lot is put on me to keep everything going around here. Thanks for the reply 🙂

0 Kudos
kaseylb4
Friend

Congrats on your retirement. My parents are grandparents to my sisters children (we are sticking to chickens and dogs for a little while longer, haha) and they swear it's the best job in the world! 🙂 Thank you for your reply... I will definitely check out the facebook page!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

What grades/ subjects fo you teach? I taught a few years, back BF ( Before Farming)....
0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome!     We raise cattle and crops.   

0 Kudos