cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Home Alarms ??

How many of you have a burglar alarm on your home? We had a family member home broke into last week. THey kicked the door in and took the guns and computers. He lives on the main highway, not on the back road like us. We have 13 homes in this area all family, and all homes can be seen. We have an alarm which I turn on every time I leave, even if I am just going to the farm shop. My daughters which make up 2 of the 13 homes also have alarms. I know that the police might not get here to catch the intruders, but at least if the alarm goes off, I hope they will just get what they want and get out.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Advisor

Re: Home Alarms ??

Our daughter has an alarm system, and I think it helps her sleep better when her husband works nights. 

We have considered it, but haven't elected to use one yet, probably because our dogs have a bad reputation...people do not just hop out of their vehicles here.  Our home is rarely left unattended. 

I do nto have much trust in our sheriff's department to arrive in time for an alarm to do us any good.  That is an issue.  Alarms are only as good as law enforcement's abiltiy to respond to them.

iif you get a break on insurance for having one, it may be worth it. I am more inclined to want a security camera system with recorder, so I have a video of anyone who's been where they do not belong.  Meant to look at them at Sam's today, but got sidetracked.  Mike may buy a gun safe...for sentimental possessions. 

We carry replacement value insuracen, so anything over oru dedictible of $1000 is pretty well going to be covered for its cost to replace. Actual cash value coverage isn't worth the paper it's printed on to me, as it will only cover the depreciated value of any item lost.  A $1200 TV loses value very quickly uinder that type of coverage.  It's more important to have the right coverage than an alarm to me. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I agree, you have to have the right insurance, but the alarm is only 20.00 a month. It may not keep them out but it might keep them from plundering in all my things. The priceless things I own like pictures and other items are in a safe, and they will not carry that away. I just hate the thought of someone in my home, so if the alarm makes them hurry and get out it is 20.00 well spent. We did have a dog but not any more, but still the best thing is neighbors looking out for one another.

0 Kudos
Advisor

We'd have to alarm cover the house and office, and then probably the garage...I think it'd run at least fifty bucks a month or probably more.  If we did that for a year, that is $600 or more, and our deductible is only $1000, so we'd have to get robbed about every eighteen months for it to be cost-effective. 

And, still there is the sheriff's department problem, with over 500 square miles for one on-duty officer at times, I doubt a property crime would get top priority.  Even if it did, that could be an hour or more distance for them to drive to us from one extreme end of the county, if they started driving towards us immediately upon receiving he call, which I do not think they actually do. 

I think we'll stick with what we've been doing so far.  Dogs, loco ones.  Guns and reputation for being just crazy enough to use them.  Weapons other than guns stashed about, just in case.   Unpredictable habits, and neighbors who all keep an eye out. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Being loco, that's us. Self preservation is number one. Just hope the bill for the Castle law gets passed. If not, the criminals have the law working for them. Maybe having a fake camera or a sign stating cameras in use or mean dog or alarms in use would be a good starting point.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Signage can be problematic...have read that if you post "Beware of Dog," that implies you know your animal is dangerous.  Ours are not, but no one knows that...then again, just b/c they haven't bitten anyone does mean they won't.

When someone asks me if the Heathen will bite, I say, "They haven't bitten anyone yet, but they do have teeth.  I'd stay in my car, if I were you." 

Oldest female, Tillie, has a spinning, snapping routine when you let her out of a door or gate that is VERY impressive.  If I weren't her Mama, I'd be scared, too. 

If a person is already out and knocking, I hold them Heathen inside, and they proceed to do a "tearing down the door" routine. 

I stand with my hand on the knob, until I have chance to assess the visitor.  If anyone has ever meant harm, they have not been stupid enough to show me that I ever needed to turn it. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

The police chief in the township that I write law enforcement grants for tells people who ask him about an alarm system to do the following:

Get your self a stop watch and try this....Imagine that there is an intruder in your house....the scariest scenario you can imagine.... they have triggered your alarm but they are smart intruders...they already know that it takes about 20 minutes for a police cruiser to arrive and that depends on the time of day, day of week etc.....OR you hear something suspicious inside and you call 911.....still takes 20 minutes....

Now for our experience... set a stop watch for 20 minutes....keep your eye on the watch.....imagine you are holding your small children willing them to be quiet....praying the police are closer....you can hear the intruders...

Keep listening as the intruders work their way through your home...imagine you can hear them, hear things crashing....footsteps moving quickly from room to room....check your stop watch....not even five minutes has passed....things still crashing,....kids starting to whimper.....

Footsteps right outside the door of the room....you get the idea....the way he does it is very intense and gets the point across...

According to Chief Smith, unless you are certain that you will get a police response within 5-10 minutes you need lethal protection.  Dog or no dog...alarm or no alarm.....he cannot stand the thought of something like happened back east happening to any family. 

If you have kids you MUST store your weapon safely but you still need to be able to protect your family.

In Ohio, the law was changed a few years ago, from self defense to a presumption that, if an intruder is in your home, he means to do you harm.  You have the right to use lethal force without proving self defense. 

Has twenty minutes passed yet?  Is the cruiser there yet?  An alarm is better than nothing but nothing is better than self protection. 

Advisor

Thank you, LA. 

It is precisely this point that I finally realized when I was writing my respinse about how long it takes for a deputy to arrive.  An alarm doesn't buy you a guaranteed response, even if one is close by, either. 

In our daughter's case, it does make a racket, so that she would know if anyone is breaking into the house...and they are armed to the teeth, trained in weapons use.  My hope is that she would  time to call us, and time to draw her weapon. 

The truth is that we all need to be able to defend ourselves. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I have 1 dog that will let me know the minute someone even thinks about turning into our driveway...I call her the nosey neighbor dog because she is always looking out the window.  We also have our shotguns and rifles in our bedroom and a .22 pistol by the bed.  Granted they are put away when we have visitors or company but we can get to them.  This is also a reason why I am taking my concealed weapons permit so that when I travel alone I feel more protected.  I normally travel with Rex but added secruity is always good to have.  I pray and hope that I should never have to use force but I'd rather be prepared then a victim also. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think we sometimes feel apologetic about arming ourselves, when we shouldn't...it is a constitutional right. 

As I have advanced in self-defense training, I have learned to realize that I need to be at least as well-prepared as my adversary might be.   You have no idea if that guy in the parking lot at night is armed, if the creep crashing your door is in his right mind (I assume not). 

We are not permitted to carry our weapons everywhere, even with carry permits.  I do not even often put mine in the car.   I hardly ever travel alone at night anymore, and people in general tend to behave better in the kight of day. 

I wouldn't rely on a .22, though.  I know it is still a lethal weapon, but it's not got a lot of knockdown power, do you think?  I rely on my "ladies' special" .38. 

0 Kudos