cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Home Invasion/Shooting 4 miles from us!

Yesterday afternoon a teenage boy was shot during a botched home invasion.  He was home alone and confronted the intruders.  He was shot twice in the stomach but he is going to be okay. 

Sable is now allowed to roam the house at night.  Other protective measures in place.  What a way to live! 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Advisor

Re: Home Invasion/Shooting 4 miles from us!

LuAnn, if the boy was alone, and there are no witnesses or robbery elements, you may not have heard the whole story yet. 

My sister's housekeeper had a similar event with her grandson at home alone, and it turned out he had dealings of the wrong sort with some unsavory characters.  Sister was approached to help pay for lawyers for him, since he was an innocent in his grandmother's eyes.  

I did not feel he was all he was cracked up to be, so suggested more investigation, before throwing too many resources at his defense.    He could not pass a polygraph on this and one other incident involving missing money at his job, which was where the criminal complaint was coming from that landed him in jail.     

Hope something shady like this is not the case with your neighbor's boy, but it does happen.  Anyone really watching a house to invade/rob it is usually pretty good at finding it or another one empty....

Kids can get into trouble we never imagined, with the Internet to hook them up these days. 

In the meantime, while you are finding out more details, Sable and whatever reasonable lines of defense you can utilize make sense in any time and place now.  Always more frightening when it strikes close to home...but you are maybe not really sure what that incident entailed yet. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Something similar happened here about 6 months ago. Only it was a family. When the criminal was caught, he was selling stolen firearms. I hope that he doesn't get a light sentence, given all the crimes he committed.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

a few years ago the woman about 1/2 mile down the road came home as the robbers were leaving.  She got knocked out.  They also mostly stole guns.   Some of them were recovered a year or so later.

Yet we still don't even lock our doors.   Should I suppose but would certainly be an inconvenience.  I not sure I even know where all the keys are.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I feel there are few rural areas where is safe to not lock doors. I lock mine if I am out mowing (house not always visable) and home alone. Times are tough in rural areas now. Just a mile down our road a house was broken into after it has be left furnished for a few years when the people moved into another furnished house a few miles away. They checked it daily and still kept cats there. Guns were not taken but every one of the cords were cut off appliances, lamps and tools. Anything that had a small amount of copper was cut off and taken along with a doll collection a few other things. A neighbor a mile away was seen with a smelly fire going the next day.

Some houses in our county have had the wiring ripped out of all the walls for the metal.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm really sorry to hear of anyone getting shot due to robbers but I'll agree about hearing the whole story first.

It was printed in the Hillsboro newspaper that the father was blaming the school because he had been suspended. His reasoning was if he hadn't been suspended he wouldn't have been home to get shot. What the suspension was about wasn't  explained. I guess we'll find out the rest of the story later?

I live south of Hillsboro with few neighbors but the ones I have are a Godsend. We all watch for any unusual traffic and most of us have home security systems installed but even that wouldn't stop metal thieves. If a business buying metals opens up near you all the surrounding neighbors better contest it for you'll be the first ones hit.  Desparate people commit desparate acts. Some are on drugs and need a hit and some do it just to live. Either way it's bad news for anyone leaving their home.  I don't like sounding paranoid but I bought my country home planning to retire here after moving from Dayton.  My Dayton neighborhood and all the surrounding businesses have been stripped clean of any metal they can steal since the recycling center is in walking distance.

Another thing that makes the country a target is gun ownership. I don't know of many people who don't own at least one and that makes it easy pickings for anyone shameless enough to steal at any time of day or night.

Be careful out there.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Metal values are making quite a stir of stealing and scavenging these days.  Mike saw our former neighbor across the field last week, going into the trailer his family left behind when the county gave him a new home to live in about five years ago.  (Keep in mind the land he was on belonged to another family.) We are pretty sure he was stripping out the wiring, since they got the last junk vehicle few months ago.    

Construction sites are not very numerous right now, but they were getting hit by wire and pipe thieves, even before recycled metal got so pricey.  Guys in the farm business board have mentioned empty hog buildings getting stripped, too.

(BTW,I noticed that battery cores had gone up when Mike bought a new one for the irrigation unit last week.  We've returned them for years, but if you've got any sitting around, now is a good time to convert them to cash.  Our kids have recycled over $3000 worth of scrap here, and are not done yet!)

There was a rash of home burglaries on the road that backs one portion of our farm a few years ago, and we are certain that the same two guys rolled up in our daughter's yard while she was in the house doing her laundry.  She heard her big Lab/Rott male raising a ruckus, and stepped out of the laundry room door in time to see a black car with two white males in it, spinning out with Bear halfway in the driver's window. 

She told her friend, who's a sheriff's dispatcher.  They called her in to view a convenience store video, which showed a guy using a stolen credit card from one of the houses on  that next road over.  Made us very glad that she is one to adopt any dog that turns up...especially big, noisy ones. 

We trust that the six dogs that stay in the yard and house will actively discourage the kind of criminal that would be deterred by common door locks.  Our dogs have a reputation of being bad, Heelers look sort of wild/crazy anyway, and I do not say anything to discourage people from that notion. 

Until they actually bite someone, they are doing exactly what they are kept here to do...intimidate.  If they were to bite someone who's doing the wrong thing, I would defend them in a court of law as if they were a member of the family, since to us, they are. 

I once had a law enforcement officer tell me that a good dog is the best defense you can have on a country property.  Think how hard it is to lock everything up all the time...every tool and now every scrap of tin.  It is just not time- and cost-effective, even if it is feasible, to do so. 

Our pack woke me up at 1:25 Thursday morning, just barking loud enough in the kennel to let me know that a livehaul truck was in the driveway eight hours early. 

Carry insurance for "stuff."  Arm yourselves for safety.  Don't let a lock give you a false sense of security. If you walk or drive up, and something just "ain't quite right," leave and call the law.  Do not park family vehicles so that it is obvious when you are gone. 

Be careful about how you tell people - or post on FB - that you are going on vacation or to an event.  Our son says he will not play a guitar gig anywhere near home, so people who know where he lives won't know his house is unattended.  It is THAT bad! 

I think about this, when I read or hear something like what LA wrote about this week on this thread...but I do NOT want to live in fear, do you?   If it gets so bad I have to lock the house to step to the garden, then we need to move. 

I'd like to hear everyone's suggestions for safety in tough times....

0 Kudos
Advisor

I just felt when i read it, there is more to that story than meets the eye. 

Burglars who come to a house they expect to be empty in the daytime are not usually going in armed, since that raises the crime to the level of armed robbery if they do encounter anyone home.  I think that raises it to a whole new level of penalties if they are caught...it goes from property crime to violent crime.   

Being shot in the abdomen is something that we saw in the history of a bad public official back home, when we started checking his background...He had FBI weapons training, but "accidentally" shot himself while cleaning a gun..right after his wife left him...and managed to miraculously hit himself in one of the few locations you can get shot nad not really hurt that badly?!?  (I think it was the "shot in the stomach but will be okay," part that raised my hackles on this incident.  You can learn anything from the Internet these days....)

Like I said, i hope I am wrong, but if this kid was on a suspension, his father can get over himself.  The noises he's making sound like he wants someone else to be at fault...which is why the kid has problems to start with!  Fool does not realize that the more fuss he makes, the more the authorities will be looking at him and his boy.  Right now, I'd want to see his cell phone and computer traffic....

I would really appreciate any updates you girls get on this one...it just intrigues me. 

0 Kudos