cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Home/homestead/farmstead?

Got my SF within the past week and started looking at it this morning. If you do have the issue, check out the article about the agriculture before 1491. It might be up your alley of interest.

As for our place we located our buildings and road system for what we thought were going to be the biggest vehicles at the time. Within the past few years, we've had to change our mode of transportation. I don't think you can ever build a homestead that will be constant over the years. Something will always affect it in some way. Mother Nature, regulations, new technology are a few.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thanks for pointing out that article. I will watch for it.

I agree that you really cannot plan for every eventuality, but you can allow for quite a few. Vehicle size and turning radius seem to be big issues for all of us. Maybe the thing to do is leave a bit more room between structures for starters. Until DOT allows larger trucks than today, I think we are okay for the present.
When I was a kid, we did things pretty much as they had always been done, some crops still with mules. We have see a lot, haven't me?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The 48 ft trailers didn't have problems, but the 6 extra feet made the travel nearly impossible for anyone except the well-experienced. We all have to work with what we are given by the property. Trucking industry will lobby the DOT enough to change the rules. That is to be expected.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I guess it is a similar phenomenon, but we noticed when we bought this place in 1994, that various fields had been abandoned at different points in time. You could tell pretty reliably when by how large the pine trees we in each one, and the further you went downgrade, into relatively wetter land, the larger they got.

When I mentioned this to my NRCS guy, he explained that the basic pattern for this part of the county was that tall timber would be standing anywhere that could not plowed with a mule-drawn plow. T successive generations of trees grew up as tractors came into wide usage then equipment got larger and heavier, as implements went from two to four to six rows.

We saw a 16 - row planting unit working down near the Roanoke River on Friday. It would be hardly able to turn around in many of our fields back home, which is all highly erodible land on Mike's place...only two small wet bottoms on 130 acres of fields and pastures.

Makes you wonder who big things will eventually get to be. We stopped cropping at four rows. That seems like a long time ago now. Our most used tractor is 29 hp. I got laughed at when I bought it, and another one for Mike's place...now, we need two or there of them here alone!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Saw what I thought was a 32 row planter in the field yesterday. Looked large. Hard to count rows when they don't have a seed box for each drop. Smiley Wink  When acreage farmers were going strong, the small equipment was bringing a high price. Now anything less than a 12 row is usually dismantled for parts in this part of the country. Haying equipment hasn't gotten bigger? Balers can only get so large, but doesn't the mower size or stackers change?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We travel through IL once or twice a year and I am always amazed at the size of the tractors. There in the wide open fields that go on and on are these small to medium tractors. Here there are countless small fields, fifty to 100 acres. And here we have the giant tractors and equipment. I understand they have three thousand acres to cover but?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

We are working to clean up the farmstead that we bought, clean out some dead trees and some old chicken coups...I swear the people had a thing for chickens!!!  So far we've torn down and burned 3 of the darn things with 1 more larger chicken house the needs to go.   We'd like to get a dozer in to push down some trees and then replant them in a different fashion.  Since we don't farm we have no need for all the buildings and would like to build 1 shop for storeage and a barn for the horses.  They currently have leantoo which is enough but I'd really like a indoor arena...when I grow up and win the lottery that is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

You should see the 48 row planters...takes 10 passes on an 80 acre field and done....it's amazing the size of the equipment these days.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I feel you on the arena.  Daughter held her first NBHA sanctioned barrel show yesterday, and we had the worst-looking radar since the tornado Saturday a couple weeks back. 

I went to town to train and do some errands, and when I turned the corner off the highway, it was wall-to-wall horse haulers up there!  She had told her Daddy she was going to do the announcing, to move things along at a rapid clip. 

Even under severe thunderstorms warnings and storms swinging within spitting distance, they finished all but the last small event before it broke them up.  She was tickled...but if I had unlimited money, I'd put a roof up big enough to cover that place.   Lottery probably isn't enough!!!

0 Kudos