cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Home made Cereal

Jump to solution

I was given a recipe for cereal that came from an Amiss woman called Grape Nuts. I was interested since we feel boxed cereal has too many additives and possible chemicals to keep it fresh. I am disappointed in the recipe and may make some but change it by adding more oats and maybe another grain and try to get it more crunchy. I am wondering if anyone has made their own breakfast cereal.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Senior Contributor

Re: Home made Cereal

Jump to solution
I cook the oatmeal according to direction. A few minutes into cooking i add the hodson mills and water. About a quarter cup each. Experiment with it until you get it to a texture you like. Add tablespoon of flax seed and finish cooking. In the bottom of our bowls i put craisens, nuts, dates. Ed's bowl gets brown sugar. Pour cereal over and stir. Add milk and good to go. Love it!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Advisor

Jump to solution

No way.   I like  Clusters,  Honey Nut cheerios and Raisin Oat  Chrisp?   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Yes, I've made some in the past. It had coconut flakes, old fashioned oatmeal, and some kind of nuts. It was a lot of work and I don't have much time. Don't really eat much breakfast these days either.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
I mix oatmeal, hodgson mills multi grain, dates, nuts, flax seed, craisens and either brown sugar or honey and cook it.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Those are the ideas I am looking for, do you cook it when mixed or when you are ready to eat it? Or bake in the oven?

This receipe has 6 cups of wheat flour and 2 cups oats, which it way too much flour. It is baked then put in food processor.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
I cook the oatmeal according to direction. A few minutes into cooking i add the hodson mills and water. About a quarter cup each. Experiment with it until you get it to a texture you like. Add tablespoon of flax seed and finish cooking. In the bottom of our bowls i put craisens, nuts, dates. Ed's bowl gets brown sugar. Pour cereal over and stir. Add milk and good to go. Love it!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
What kind of oatmeal? I've been looking for something like your recipe. So many instants are too sweet. My sweet tooth has diminished over time.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution
I just use the round cylinders of Quaker Instant. You've got to mess with the proportions to get it to your favorite texture. I forgot to mention that i put in wheat germ sometimes, too. The hodgson mills, the wheat germ and the flax seed all need their own portion of liquid so thats why you have to experiment a bit. I love dates and nuts in mine. Ed likes raisen s and brown sugar. I use skim milk on top.
0 Kudos