cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Homemade formulas?

It must have been on Pinterest...I don't go there much, but I have gotten a couple of neat ideas there when I do.  Anyway, somewhere this past week, i picked up a formula for a spray cleanser that really removes soap scum from a shower.  Here, it was more a matter of hard water stains, too. 

Our small shower stall gets heavy use daily, and our well water is pretty loaded with minerals.  The usual CLR and other cleansers hadn't really been all that satisfactory, and I hate to use anything aerosol. 

This solution is poured in a spray bottle.   I'd suggest using a higher-volume one, that puts out a good spritz...I used one I found in the cleanser aisle at Walmart.

In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, I heated one cup of white vinegar for one minute in the microwave.  I then squirted in BLUE Dawn dish detergent (the recipe was specific about using the BLUE liquid) to the 2-cup mark.  It dissolves very readily into the hot vinegar. 

Carefully pour into your spray bottle.  Using my Pyrex cup, I had a handle and spout for pouring without spilling the hot mixture.

Spray the shower stall and glass generously with the solution.  Wait at least thirty minutes, then scrub with your nylon scrubby.  You can repeat on stubborn stains, if necessary.  I actually let the shower warm up, to rinse the soapy mixture off the floor so as not to slip, and got in to scrub it down.  There was nothing harsh in this mixture to harm my skin.  It took no time at all. 

I am a skeptic about easy solutions, but this one was wirth the trouble to try it.  My shower look better than it has in eons.  The cost is so reasonable, and mixing so simple, even I will do this on a routine basis. 

Wanted to share an easy and cheap formula for a good cleanser.  Also, wanted to ask if any of you have a simple homemade solution to a household or farm problem.  If so, please share. 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Homemade formulas?

A shallow pan of potato flakes in it, with a pan with some Coke in it will kill rats & mice according to my dad.  Not sure if the 'new' Coke formula still works, or not, though.  Anyway, Dad said that is what he used to get rid of a rodent problem we had by the hog buildings, without poison that could be harmful to us kids or pets.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Separate pans.  I asked Dad, and he said the theory was that the rats ate the potato flakes, and got thirsty, and then drank the coke, which 'fizzed' on contact with the potato flakes.  Since rats can't belch or flatulate, it kills them from internal pressure somehow. 

If you want to see just how violently Coke can fizz, just drop a hard candy into a bottle or can of Coke.

Heck, just watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbJELjLgZg&feature=related

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Awesome. Thanks Kay!

I use the vinegar/water spray for lots of cleaning, but the bathroom soap scum had me using some hard-core stuff like Kaboom which is great, but is probably giving me internal organ damage! I'll try your recipe today.

I have made my own laundry detergent for about 3 years now and like it immensely. We have some heavy-duty manure clothes at times and it still seems to do the trick. The concoction is: 4 C borax, 4 C washing soda, 2 grated bars Ivory soap...crumble with your hands and use 1-2T/load. I have an HE front-loading washer and this is fine for it.

If someone has a homemade dishwasher detergent recipe I would love to try it. I've tried various ones and still get the white stuff on glasses, even with using a vinegar rinse or two drops of Dawn.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Baking soda, Peroxide, and Dawn dish soap mixed together works great as a skunk odor remover.  1 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of peroxide and 4 tablespoons mixed in a plastic container.  Get the dog wet and work the solution in and let it set for a bit.  Rinse and redo if necessary.  If you have left over solution just wash it down the drain DO NOT COVER it in a plastic bowl...it will explode.  This solution works like a charm and I use it for just regular dog bathing as well. 

Apple cider vinigar in a cut milk container and hung in an apple tree will help keeps worms and such out of the tree. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I use the apple tree formula...1 C water, 1 C cider vinegar, 1 C white sugar and 1 dead (rotted) banana peel.  put in a milk jug and hang in the apple trees sometimes you have to refill your jug mid season.  Have used this for several years.  I was able to sell a large crate ( 4 ft x 4 ft x 4ft) of apples to the local Cider brewer one year and he could not believe that my apples were so nice.  http://www.sutliffcider.com/ and I only have 4 older apple trees.  One delicious, one wolf river, one jonathan and one an early transparent. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

All of those "miracle' cleaners like Kaboom! worry me on some level.  If you use teh
Dawn and vinegar, don't forget to heat the vinegar. and run the shower for a bit, when you get ready to get back into it, or into it to scrub...the floor can be a tad slippery from this one. 

I used an old nylon mesh shower scrubby  to scour things down, but you could use a Chore Girl or one of those nylon mesh soap sliver sacks.  Not much elbow grease at all required. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Why do you have to boil the vinegar? and do you have to use it hot?  does it have a shelf life?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I don't know why it's heated, unless that allows teh Dawn to mix into it better. 

I just heated the vinegar a minute, not boiling it.  I poured that into my spray bottle then added the blue Dawn, until the graduated bottle showed I had added a cup to the cup of vinegar.  I plan to heat another half-cup of vinegar,and add it to the leftover portion, then add an equal amount of blue Dawn.  I don't  think it is all that exacting a recipe. 

0 Kudos