cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Re: Homemade formulas?

I've half-heartedly tried this in the past and got half-hearted results. I'm game to try it again. My questions to you are:

Is it time to do this now?

How many milk jugs/tree?

Do I have to climb up into the non-dwarf trees to distribute the jugs?

I really want to get away from spray, but also can't stand the waste of worthless fruit that I seem to get without it. aarrgh.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We put the jugs in the trees when the blooms come on.  Usually one jug per tree and we just hang it below the canopy near the trunk.  This draws the moths that lay the larvae that build the tents.  I don't know if those green bags with that are used for the japanese beetles would work the same or not.  we have used the gallon milk jugs.  Don't need to make a whole very big towards the top.  Enough to pour the stuff in and hang from the handle.  My in-laws are really good at getting the jugs in and keeping them going as they come out and pick alot of apples to store in there root cellar.  (they lived in our home before us).

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Here is a nice site that shares quite a few "green" cleaning tips periodically:

http://tidymom.net/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
soil guy
Senior Reader

The coke and fly bait (golden marlin) will work.  I have watched a skunk partake and waddle off about 30 ft

and drop over dead.  He was our target.  The cat smelled it and walked off, not seeming interested.  It works

on coons and opposums also.  I've never seen a dead rat that I thought was from our bait.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We still have last year's ground hog problem, any ideas for that?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

NEBRFRMR:

My father-in-law used to fill 5-gallon buckets with water and carefully spread cornmeal over the top so it floated. Then he'd put a board or something leading up to the top like a ramp. He did this in the barn when he'd notice rats (ACK!) in his feed. The varmints would climb up there, think it was a bucket full of corn, jump in, and drown. 

Of course, you couldn't do this if you had small children around since they can drown in a bucket of water, but it was a good way to get rid of the rats without poison, so he didn't have to worry about the pets getting into it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have several friends who make their own powdered laundry soap. They swear by it, but my water is so hard that I'm not convinced it would dissolve properly. I have to use liquid detergent. I found a recipe online for making your own liquid laundry soap, but it contained Dawn. Someone commented on the article that Dawn contains ammonia, which of course you don't want to mix with bleach, so you couldn't use that detergent if you were adding bleach to your load of laundry. I'm not sure if it would be OK to just use regular detergent on bleached loads, or if the bleach/ammonia would stay in the washer enough to cause a problem.

You might want to keep that in mind and be careful using cleaning products with bleach if you've recently cleaned with the spray that contains Dawn.

0 Kudos